High Power Questions - Past, Present, and Future

Gino

I've wanted to get a HP for some time, but they were just too expensive! I couldn't find one for less than $600. So now Browning has stopped importing them. I've heard that FN is going to start importing them. Good deal. Now for the questions:

1) Didn't FN make the High Power for Browning?
2) If FN did make them for Browning, will the FN guns be the exact same guns? It'd be nice if they upgraded the sights and they cost a bit less.
3) Will this be a Belgian made gun?
4) Anyone know when FN will start importing them?
5) Any idea of cost?

Thanks for any info,
Gino

1) Didn't FN make the High Power for Browning?

Yes they did. Browning was owned by FN and simply imported the FN Hi-Powers.

2) If FN did make them for Browning, will the FN guns be the exact same guns? It'd be nice if they upgraded the sights and they cost a bit less.

They will be exactly the same, only less variety with regards to the number of models imported (no Practical, Silver Chrome or Capitan)

3) Will this be a Belgian made gun?

Actually, all the Hi-Powers and parts are made in Belgium. For awhile the guns were assembled in Portugal by FN to take advantage of cheaper labor. There seems to be some bias against these guns although in my experience it certainly doesn't have any basis in fact. In any case, around 1998 or 1999, FN moved production of the Hi-Power back to Belgium. Some late 90s Hi-Powers were built entirely in Belgium but have "Assembled in Portugal" stamped on the slide because they were built from pre-existing parts. I've even seen 2000 Hi-Powers with this stamp although the production had been in Belgium for two years at that point I believe.

4) Anyone know when FN will start importing them?

Check at http://www.fnhipower.com I believe the first FN imported Hi-Power was recently spotted on a dealer shelf in March but I'm just going from imperfect memory on that.

5) Any idea of cost?

No idea. My bet is that if it goes anywhere it won't be down.

This is a little off topic but as long as we're talking Hi-Powers, I want to mention (again) that I'd like to see a lightweight Hi-Power (FN or clone) with an alloy or plastic frame.

Wouldn't that be nice?

What I can add from an e-mail of today from Marcia Mills, Program Coordinator, FN LE Division {in S Carolina}. 9mm Hipowers should be "imported from Belgium in May & available in June, probably the end of June." She mentioned the availability in .40 would be "Not very many .40 S&W, more 9mm." http://www.fnmfg.com/lawenf/hpsa/hpsamain.htm

[Edited by skevlar on 04-23-2001 at 04:41 PM]

Back