high power mag release

Joe Portale

Hi folks,

I just picked up an older FN High Power pistol. Nice gun, but the magazines will not drop out when the release is pressed. The mags need to be pulled out. They do come out without any effort, they simple will not drop out under the force of gravity. The gun shop guy gave me the old "they all do that". My buddy has an almost identical HP and his mgas drop right out. any suggestions for a fix?

Thanks.

------------------
Joe Portale
Tucson, Arizona Territory

True Gun Control: Weaver or Isosceles.

Actually, they all do do that. The magazine saftey is the culprit. It holds just enough tension on an empty mag to keep it from dropping out.
Two ways to fix this. First, remove the mag saftey. I don't recommend ever deactivating any saftey on a firearm, but many people do.
Second, learn to snap your wrist down and back up in a short, quick move to pop the mag out of the gun. It doesn't take much to get it to fall free. That's what I do. With a little practice you won't even realize you're doing it.

------------------
TFL's official "Curmudgeon Member" and damned proud of it!

I also don't "recommend" that anyone remove the magazine disconnect safety from the trigger of you Browning HiPower. That said, I yanked those stupid things out of both my HiPowers and now the mags drop right out. Actually what I did was to install Cylinder & Slide triggers which don't have them funky things. It's not that I'm so much opposed to the idea of a mag disconnect, it's just that I feel that a mag that doesn't drop free is a tactical liability. Stay safe.

[This message has been edited by nwgunman (edited May 06, 2000).]

Thanks for the info. I though the mag release would be the cause of this.

------------------
Joe Portale
Tucson, Arizona Territory

True Gun Control: Weaver or Isosceles.

Back