High Point carbine 9mm

johnblackstone

I am thinking about buying one of these inexpensive carbines for plinking and--who knows--blocking off my culdesac when the civil disobedience arrives in a couple of weeks. This would complement my shotgun for home defense, and would be a good little carbine for my 8 year old after the .22.

Experiences? They are certainly about $350 cheaper than buying a M1 carbine, and I haven't been able to get my hands on a good Marlin Camp 9..

Any actual knowledge of this firearm would be appreciated.

My only experience with the that 9mm carbine was when I stumbled upon a group of two young men (boys) and the girlfriend out in the desert. I normally don't shoot in the desert but it was the day our local range was closed.

I watched them shoot the thing for awhile and offered to let them shoot my Glock 21. I shot the carbine and found it to be suitably accurate for a rifle priced at a $150-ish. As far as that goes, I was neither impressed nor disappointed with my 30 yard groups (whatever they were). We shot about two boxes of factory ball. It never had a failure, which surprised me, I must say.

The trigger was kind of clunky. As I recall it had the general feel of a Glock trigger -- and I use that discription advisably. It could have used some polishing, if the metal in the mechanism would allow it.

Is it worth the price? Well, given that the cost of modern firearms are saddled with the extra cost of liablility insurance and federal taxes, I don't think that any of our guns are worth the price.

Rick

------------------
"Congress have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birth-right of an American." Tench Coxe 2/20/1788

My slight experience showed it to be very accurate (at 15m, one-hole group off-hand). Sights are good. Not sure how durable it is, esp. since it is hard to take apart for cleaning. Will feed JHPs and shoot +P amo fine. Ugly but it works...

I own an M1 carbine and Hi-point probably has better sights. Hi-point is limited to ten rounds of 115gr 1250fps vs. 15 rounds of 110gr at 1950fps, but as far as carbines go it is likable. For me, it handled better and had less recoil than Ruger and Marlin offerings...not sure how durable it is, though.

The one I fired shot where I pointed it. It was a friend's, and he had a cheap dot sight on it. I was very surprised, given the Hi Point's reputation. It did not burp even once, and I shot about a box through it. Verrrry ugly, but functional. I may buy one myself, given the cheap price.

------------------
So many a'holes-- so few bullets!------
Ford Fairlane :D

Nice entry into pistol caliber carbines.

But a lot of it is made out of plastic and it is very hard to clean from the posts on deja.com that I've seen. Looks cheesy and gimmicky. People tend to buy the Hi Points and then sell them.

Shot the Marlin Camp 9 carbine and was not impressed. They ned to work on the magazine assembly . . . seemed a bit loose. Stock felt good.

Check out the Kel Tec Sub 9 folding carbine. yeah . . . it's $490 but a much better built carbine and we all know that Kel Tec gives graet cust serv.

People hold onto the Sub 9s! That's how I judge a good gun . . . if you have to widle your collection down, what do you keep because that's what I want to buy!

Their sub 9's even take Glock hi-cap magazines and it folds into a nice 16" package. Now that's a compact carbine!

------------------
The Seattle SharpShooter
If it can't shoot jacketed rad turds powered by rodent farts, I ain't gonna shoot it!

I have tried both the Hi-Point and Ruger PC9 and decided to buy the Ruger. Liked the feel of it as well as the availability of hi-cap mags (although I have not found any over 18 rnd which work well enough for self defense purposes (stick to the factory or Mec-Gar)).

You might also want to look at FeatherUSAs RAV-9. A little more expensive ($650) but a nice shooter (I have the 45 ACP version). It uses UZI mags, so you have a source of hi-caps at a cheap price. If you do go this route, make sure to get a current model from the current manufacturer (they have been bought out a few times). Previous ones were stamped with the current once being CNC and laser cut out of a solid piece of steel.

--Westincar

A friend of mine who is a fairly decent shot owns a Hi-Point 9mm, and he shoots 4-5" groups with it at 125 yards. I'd call that "not bad at all", considering the weapon used.

For the money, I'd probably take one.

Back