High end 1911's (Les Baer vs. SVI)

Zee

Greetings,
I decided to purchase my first "high end" 1911. Right now however, I find myself torn between Les Baer 5" premier II (with 1 1/2" grouping) and SVI's line of single stacks. I'm hoping some of you more experienced guys can lead me in one direction or the other. I will primarily use the pistol for target and maybe CCW (remote chance of some competition in the future). I wanted to stay away from SVI's polymer griped pistols due to the extra width (unless someone can convince me they're worth it). So basically I'm just looking for advice/opinions/recommendations and the like, also do SVI's accuracy match Baers 1 1/2"@50 yards?
Thanks in advance for any light you all can shed on this subject :)
Zee-

When I was in high end 1911 market, I also took a look into Baer and SVI. Ultimately, I went with the Baer Premier II (5 inch barrel). The reasons? Well, from a fit and finish standpoint, both guns were excellent. However, the single stack Baer just felt better in my hand, so that was the main reason for me picking it. The best thing for you is to choose the gun that feels the best to you. Good luck!

Zee - As far as I'm concerned accuracy is a relative term. Any decent 1911 pattern pistol will out shoot the person shooting it. A lot of it depends upon ammo. Who cares if a Baer pistol claims to shoot 1.5 inches at 50 yards from a Ransom Rest. This isn't how I shoot my pistols or how I would ever use one for defense.

I own a Premier II and a SVI polymer frame pistol. A friend of mine is a distributor for SVI and shoots the single stack in IPSC matches. I could put you in touch with him if you like. I have used both in IPSC matches as well. If you have small hands the hicap SVI may feel too big. They are both fine guns for competition, but I would not carry one. If I had to use it, I would probably never get it back since it would more than likely be stolen from the evidence room during the months or years it was kept there by the police. If I wanted accuracy I would build a bullseye gun to shoot in bullseye competition from either the Baer or SVI.

The principal reason to get a double stack gun in competition is to reduce the overall shooting time by limiting the number of times you have to change mags. If you need to get off a total of 30 shots, 2 fifteen round mags will only require 1 mag change. 3 ten round mags will require two changes, twice as much mag changing time. Points are divided by time to get your score. If you plan to compete seriously some day, this is a factor to consider.

They're also helpful if you encounter 30 bad guys at the same street corner.

Thank you jwong,NAD,abruzzi for your responces! Nad I'll take a rain check on your offer, (I still have some more research to do, but thanks!)
Zee-

Zee: If you want an extremely accurate 1911, check out Rock River Arms. Their quality is as good as Les Baer's at a lower price, and they'll build a pistol to order.

Are you sure that this pistol might be used for CCW? A full-sized 1911 is a big chunk of steel to carry concealed. Also, it's hard to combine target grade accuracy with total reliability.

Have you looked at the Wilson Combat KZ-something pistol? It's a polymer-framed 1911 with a 10 round magazine. To me it looks like a great compromise between "shootability" and "carryability". And, at about $1000, it's cheaper than most semi-custom 1911s.

Back