High cap .45? again!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scratch

I need some help please. I want to get a new high cap 45 before sb23 takes affect here in the PRK. I saw a Kimber polymer today, nice gun! How well do these guns do? Do they feed reliable? What about the $125 per mag, WOW!
Other options include the Glock 21, ParaOdinance, or ?.
Some considerations might be. I've always owned 1911 and dig them. IMHO There is no other caliber than .45. I shoot almost exclusively my reloads and most of these are a cast bullet. This allows me to shoot more.
Please give a reason for your opinions not just I like this one. Lastly I'll be trading in my Colt 1911 for this.I figure I can alway get another 1911.
Thanks
SCratch

If you prefer the 1911 style pistol, I would say pick up a ParaOrdnance P-14 Limited. I prefer the P-14 to the Kimber polymer because the P-14 feels better to me. You also won't have to buy new holsters for a P-14. The Kimber polymer has a squared trigger guard, requiring new holsters. JMHO. YMMV. :)

------------------
May your lead always hit center mass and your brass always land in your range bag.

~Blades~

KEEP YOUR COLT 1911...

DON'T GET SUCKED INTO THE HIGH-CAP GAME!!!

SINGLE STACK 1911S ARE THE BEST .45s IMHO!!!

YOU WILL END UP SPENDING A LOT OF YOUR $$$ FOR NOTHING!!!

7+1 OR 8+1 CAPACITY IS A LOT OF ROUNDS ALREADY!!!

AND YOU CAN GET 10+1 EXTENDED MAGS FOR YOUR COLT!!! FOR A LOT LESS THAN BUYING PRE-BAN HI CAP MAGS...

I HATE TO SEE US 1911 GUYs GO ASTRAY..

ALL THIS PRE-BAN GARBAGE, IS "NOT" SUPPOSE TO HAVE ANY EFFECT ON US 1911 GUYS...

GET WITH IT!!!

WE ARE GOOD ENOUGH TO CARRY AROUND A 7+1 1911 IN THE CALIBER--- .45!!! AND A SPARE MAG...
...GIVING US A HEFTY DOSE OF 15 ROUNDS OF .45ACP!!!

FOR SELF-DEFENSE AT LEAST...

IF YOU HAVE 15 OR MORE DETERMAND ASSAILENTS, CHANCES ARE, A PISTOL WILL NOT BE ENOUGH ANYWAY!!! EVEN IF YOU HAD ONE THAT CARRIED 30+ ROUNDS!!! (HK MP5 EXCLUDED!!!)

1911 FOREVER!!!

------------------
SURE SHOT

Scratch, come on down to <A HREF="http://www.insidetheweb.com/messageboard/mbs.cgi?acct=mb331278"" TARGET=_blank>http://www.insidetheweb.com/messageboard/mbs.cgi?acct=mb331278"</A> for a completely un-biased view on what to buy ! ;)

------------------
"The Gun from Down Under !"
http://www.para1911fanclub.w3.to/
Alternate E-mail
HS2000@ausi.com

Scratch,

Obviously you have lots of 1911A1 expertise, but I'd respectfully suggest you consider sticking with your 1911s and utilizing Wilson 10 round magazines.

I have two of them for my Kimber and, IMHO, they are very well designed:
(a) superior fabrication, feed and reliability;
(b) adds about two inches to grip length, which really facilitates a FULL two-handed grip (thus enhanced accuracy); and
(c) with 230 grain rounds, makes the weapon's center-of-gravity even better, by moving it back to an essentially neutral position, thus increasing aim stability.

This option will probably save your money, retain your current 1911s, and provide adequate fire-power -- pragmatically, if you need more than 10 rounds per mag, you're in a highly unusual defensive situation which is most unlikely.

[This message has been edited by RWK (edited October 26, 1999).]

RWK,

How exactly does the extended ten round mag facilitate a two handed grip?

Is your strong hand (little finger and ring finger, maybe)down on the extended portion of the mag, or is it your weak hand? Either way, it looks as if this technique is all wrong. Weak hand should overlay the strong hand, with nothing extending below the grip of the pistol (on a full size government model). Both hands should be as high as possible, thus helping to reduce recoil.

Help me to understand if I have this wrong.

TaxPhd,

I believe you have it right. More specifically, my strong/right hand grips the 1911 as you'd expect, with the weak/left hand interlocked between: (a) the right ring finger and the left index and middle fingers and (b) the right pinky and the left middle and ring fingers.

I appreciate the two-hands-overlaid method (and I agree it may be superior for many folks), but I was taught this way as a teenager by my Dad (an FBI Special Agent and a firearms instructor in the New York City field office in the '50s) and it just seems natural and very comfortable to me. Fortunately, recoil, follow-through and remaining close to the aim-point is not a major issue for me with .45 ACPs -- one or two handed.

Hope this answers your question. As always, comfort and ergonomics are individual, but key to precision.

I really enjoy my Glock 21, it's very accurate and extremely reliable. High caps aside, you have a full 10 round magazine (maybe one in the tube?) I do own the pre-ban mags for this handgun but kick myself because I paid a over-inflated price of $80 a pop for them! I do not feel under-gunned in any way with the 10 rounders. It really comes down to which handgun YOU shoot best and which handgun fits YOU the best. Like James said previously, "Don't get sucked into the hi-cap game!!!".

I'd have to agree with the previous posts, for a .45, an extra round or two is not as important as hitting with the first two.

Perhaps I'm biased, because my USP45 holds ten rounds, and the "hi-cap" mags which sell for $150 apiece only hold 12. I don't see the point.

Carry a spare mag instead. Heck, carry two!

Rich

Scratch,
Don't listen to these guys. Get a Para Ordnance Limited. I guarantee you'll be happy and won't look back. 14+1 is a lot of .45 rounds. My P-14 Limited is just as, if not more accurate than my Kimber Custom.

Or just go & get an Para-Ordnance P-16 Limited at around $679 :)
16 + 1rnds of .40 cal !
p1445LTD-ss.jpg

Check out these standard features: Full-length recoil guide system; Beaver-tail grip safety with palm swell; Ambidextrous safety; Adjustable rear sight; Inlaid rear sight mount; Dovetailed front sight; Competition hammer; Lowered ejection port; Front and rear slide serrations; Trigger overtravel stop; Tuned trigger; Match grade 5" barrel.
*14 plus 1 shot capacity. Available in .40 S&W as the P16-40 Limited with *16 plus 1 shot capacity. Available in black carbon steel or bright stainless steel finish.

------------------
Alternate E-mail
HS2000@ausi.com

I too would recommend a single stack .45, they seem to be more feed reliable than double stacks.

------------------
Sig Sauer + .45acp = perfection

Go with the high-cap if you want. The 14/15 rd. mags work great. Caspian Arms has their single stack conversion. Two pieces of aluminun attach via longer grip screws to the inside of the mag-well providing proper tolerances for insertion of your favorite single stack. This is needed for proper feeding of .400 Cor-Bon, or .40Super.

Best of both worlds.

Sigh... I see lots of people giving opinions of OTHER products.. but no one answering the question.

Ok.. I have 3 Kimbers. One of them is the Polymer. Not been one of my better experiences. It has been picky in its ammo choice since day one. Would NOT feed Georgia Arms 230 grn FMJ. But it seemed to like S&B FMJ just fine. NONE of my reloads with a flat point would feed at all. Tried several different HPs from different vendors. Still lots of intermitent problems. All of the ammo described above feed fine in my Kimber Combat Carry and my Kimber Stainless Target. Sent the polymer back to Kimber at their suggestion. NO PROBLEM FOUND!. Sheesh.. I sent them 3 pages of detail on how to make it fail in several different ways. Not a happy camper. A local Tx SWAT team has standardized on the Polymer. They love them. But I suppose they don't have the ammo budget restraints that I do.

Yes, the 14 round mags are nice... and they are expensive. The Kimber can be modified with a different mag release to use the Para Hi-caps. I have not done this. I will say removing the mag release is a delicate job. It is very easy to score the polymer when the screw on the mag release is reset.

As for the Kimber Custom shop work, not impressed at all. While the Polymer was back in NY to work the feeding problem, I had them replace the standard issue safety with a Kimber ambi. This was the stiffest safety I have ever felt. Several grab spots. This is being RE-WORKED by my smith as we speak.

The Combat Carry was NOT compatible with Wilson mags. :( I had to replace the slide stop with a Wilson slide stop in order to get the mags to work. A couple of my friends have actually had to modify the slide itself to make the Kimber reliable with Wilson mags.

The Stainless Target had been flawless.... until this morning. Exactly 23 hours before the start of the Republic of Texas IDPA Championships, the rear sight sheared off! Talk about being upset! My local range was kind enough to slip a new sight on for me in about 30 mins and I could resight the gun before tomorrow morning.

Ok... Now, I shoot about 700-800 rounds a month. If I didn't travel so much, that number would be closer to 1500. But dang, 3 different Kimbers... and three different sets of problems???? I use to be Kimber's biggest fan. I sang their praises all over the net. But I have had just about enough. I take meticulous care of my guns. There is no abuse here. I am very, VERY close to selling the lot of them and buying a couple of Wilsons.

Kimber does not seem to care about their reputation.. or their customers.

I had planned on wearing my Kimber cap at the match tomorrow... I'll find a cap for a mortuary now... :(

So Scratch... take my problems and plug them in as one data point in your search.

Regards,

Bubba

UPDATE: (11/02/99) See my update to the sight problem in this thread.. [Link to invalid post]

[This message has been edited by Bubba (edited November 02, 1999).]

Bubba,
Kimber is notoriously known for their bad customer service. Depending on your budget, I would recommend a Les Baer Premier. As for the Kimber Polymer, change the springs in the mag to Wolf springs. When I did this my para pretty much stopped jamming. Of course, Im sure you have other problems, but it's worth a try. What do you think HS?

Regards,
Jorge Aka Glockmania

Thanks Bubba, thant is the kind of information I was looking for. So what do people think of the Para Ord. P14
Thanks Again
Scratch

I just bought one. I can't put it down. I own Glock & Sigs, but I go for the P-14 first when I come home.

I've only put 200 rds. through it, but those 200 were to test the reliability. I intentionally tried to limp wrist it, and couldn't get it to jam. I got a little crazy and held the gun so loose it almost whipped out of my hand, no mis-feeds. I LIKE IT!!

I should've mentioned that I own a Para P-16, got some 7000+ rounds through it & LOVE IT !
As previously suggested, come & post your question down on my board to get some un-biased answers from HiCapacity 1911 owners.

------------------
Alternate E-mail
HS2000@ausi.com

Scratch: A good advice I can say is to have your 1911 Colt stay with you and buy Hi-cap mag ParaOrdnance. So that in future, when you find some negative aspects of the high cap if there's any, then you can go back again to your Colt, or having both give full satisfaction to ourselves in owning both kind. Any one who is fond of gun needs to spend much to acquire whatever model/type you want. I used 9mm 13 feed mag, and .45 in 8+1 Mcormick and scouting for 12 or 13 feed mag in the market.

As many have said in this forum, it depends on your requirements. If for shooting competition get a high-cap for an advantage, if you consider time as factor. If for sidearm, 7+1 or 8+1 or 10 is enough firepower already.

There was a good advice I've read somewhere else in the internet that good sidearm mag load at is 7 feed whilst on the waist, but the reserve magazines could be 8 to 10 feed or more.

Thanks

[This message has been edited by stdalire (edited October 30, 1999).]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back