high brass-low brass

SLK978

Inactive
other than the obvious physical difference between the two shells, can someone explain the differences between high and low brass shells?

Thanks

In the old days of paper base wads and felt powder wads, a hi-brass shell had a smaller base wad, leaving more room for powder and shot. The low brass was for targets and had a bigger base wad, taking up more of the powder space.

In a modern all-plastic hull with a brass head, I don't think there are any internal differences, all that being done by different wads.

All my heavy 2 3/4" 12g duck and goose loads with lead shot used to be loaded into Winchester AA hulls.

Conventional Wisdom says that long ago,when they first went from all brass casing to part paper, the high brass was to contain higher pressure loads and keep them from blowing out back towards the shooter.

In actuality,the lower pressure loads were also(surprise!!) lower price loads, and the lower brass was the indicator of same. Customers demanded high brass for more expensive loads due to that Conventional Wisdom,and it became a tradition.

Now, it serves as a nice way to ID heavy loads.

Thanks ViKing and Dave McC,

I thought it had something to do with the relative power of the load but wasn't sure. The question has been nagging at me for some time, thanks for the quick reply.

Back