HI-TEK and Velocity

steve4102

I'm casting Lee 155gr .312 for my Blackout and Mini-30. I'm coating them with HI-TEK and gas checks.

How fast is to fast for this coated bullet? I'm shootin for around 2000 fps in the 7.62 x 39 and 1800 fps in the BO.

To fast?

You are not out of the range of safe speeds for lead, especially with coating and gas checks. Its a bit of a game given those speeds. Bullet hardness really becomes critical at the velocities you are talking about. Best is to test hardness of the cast bullets. Even then test some before you blast away a hundred rounds and lead your bore.

I don't know how hard/fast you can push a hi-tek coated bullet, I chose powder coating when I decided to go with coated boolits.

What chainsaw says is THE most important factor, hardness of the base boolit, but even more important is strength. Strength is directly related to hardness. That then relates to pressure of the powder. Read Richard Lee's writings on pressure as it relates to hardness, which all relates to how fast you can push a boolit. A boolit that's not strong enough will "slump" when slammed in the butt when the powder pressure begins to move it.

If accuracy is what you're after, then cast those 155's hard, coat them, see if you get leading. If I were to try either of those calibers with my powder coated boolits, I know before hand they would not lead the bore. I would cast them using my mix of 17 pounds of linotype to 3 pounds pure lead. those are plenty hard even for 30-06 velocities.

Can't speak for rifle but I have pushed 9's to 1600 FPS in pistols, using two coats of Hi-Tek and experienced no leading.

Too many factors. Hardness of lead, smoothness of barrel, etc. I can see that under some circumstances you could manage to run 2k lead bullets without leading, but there may be other problems. some lead may be too soft to go all the way there. If you just use salvaged lead and don't put much effort into creating good alloy, you sure won't make it to two K without problems.

Bottom line, you've tried it already, do you think that they are working? you can only try them and see if they work.

Back