Hi-Power won't drop mags

Moe

I have replaced the sear spring as that seems to be the only thing that presses against the mag. Does any one make a performance upgrade that will help me. I'm going to try IPSC the Canadian version of IPSA and would like to use my browning. I have a cz75 I just picked up but would rather use the HP.

Moe

The mags will not drop free of the mag well when I press the mag release. I have had to get the newer 10rd Browing mags with the ejection assisting spring to even get the mag to move one inch.

Moe

Hello,sir. In your HP, is the magazine disconnect (safety) still intact? If so, it may be pressing against the upper front of the magazine and this can keep the magazine from dropping free when the release is pressed. If this is the case and the sear spring is also touching the magazine, the problem is compounded. In most cases, I've found the magazine safety to be the culprit and I routinely remove them on my HPs. Before you do that, be advised that many strongly disagree with this as they have concerns over civil court problems in the event of a defensive shooting and there is merit in their opinions. The only other thing I can think of concerns the use of Pachmayer rubber wrap-around grips. Sometimes, if these are really tightened down, they'll press against the magazine such that it'll not only not drop, but can be manually removed only with considerable effort. Best and good luck.

I would bet it's the magazine disconnect. Mine sucked & replaced the trigger assy entirely immediately after purchase, which removed the disconnect & problem. Also improves the trigger pull dramatically. Can't see having a defensive pistol that won't shoot with the mag out. Also did the hammer from spur to rowel. Denny's Shooter Supply has the kits & they are drop-in. Do function check after any mods. Hi cap mags drop right out & the 10 rnd, spring loadeds shoot to the ground.

Try Hogue wrap arounds rather than Pachs - the latter are just too fat for me. YMMV Hogue's are very nice - less expensive.

The mag safety has already been removed at purchase. I don't use my Hi power for defence. If I ever said I did I would have it confiscated imediately and be thrown in jail or prison (up to 5 years). You see here in Kanada we are nor allowed to legaly "prepare" to defend our selves with a gun. If you can 1. find your keys 2. unlock your gun locker/vault/case 3. unlock the trigger lock 4. unlock your ammo container. 5. at least they let the ammo in the ammo container be in a mag so load the gun with a charger mag. 6. If the guy that guy that just broke into your house and proceeding to kick the snott out of your dog or shooting your family will just wait the 5 minutes or so for you to do the above then you can proceed to use your gun to defend your self. Oh and don't forget you must use FMJ ammo as JHP is illegal here. Much better to use bullets that run through several walls and kill innocent people in the next house. As you can see if I used a HI Power for defending myself of my family I don't think the mag safety will be a big deal here.

Tell me more about this kit from Denny's where can I find the kit.

Moe

......SOLVED......

I filed a little off the hammer strut and I bent the little nub at the lower end of the sear spring. The hammer strut was pushing the sear spring against the mag and the bottom of the sear spring was pushing against the mag as well.

Thanks to all for your help.

Moe

Back