Hi-Power user, new to IPSC looking for holster advice

Lou0151

Inactive
Hello all,

I have jsut been through my safety training for USPSA and am looking forward to my first event on the 28th of this month.

I will be shooting a Browning HiPower in Limited Division. I am looking for advice from other HiPower users for gun and mag holster options that would be suitable for IPSC.

The pancake style rig I have for carry is not going to work for competiton.

Thanks in advance for any pointers.

Lou

Take your pancake (and four mag pouches if you have them) to your first shoot(s). You might not like IPSC, you might decide to buy a more competitive gun. You don't need a speed rig to start with.

the problem with my curret rig is the hammer loop snap thing... trying to single hand holster is somewhat difficult... if i use 2 hands i sweep my fingers on the left hand..

i see thatFfobus has a model on their website that claims ot be hi-power compatible...

I have been a hipower shooter for 20 yrs... love the pistol... feels just right but i agree that not being able to safe with the hammer down and the mag well saftey seem to make IPSC shooting a bit more complex.

thanks,

lou

If Fobus fits your budget for now and it makes you a bit competitive go for it it's only about the price of a case of beer. Take the first advice and don't go crazy buying a bunch of holsters and mag pouches just to make you feel racy. The first few matches you'll be attending are extremely important in learning safety, then accuracy, consistency in performance. When you get the consistency and accuracy down the speed will come. Don't got balls to the walls for speed, you can't miss fast enough to win. Above all don't forget to have fun - enjoy the company of fellow shooters, learn from them - when you're a beginner more often they will offer advice even if you don't ask for it. DVC! josh

I shot IPSC for a while with a leather pancake rig. You can get it holstered safely, bring the gun behind the holster pointed straight down, THEN bring the weak hand over and open the holster using the thumb snap. You need to go slow and watch what you are doing to not sweep your hand and have to go home but it can be done. Lots of guys are doing it in IDPA matches also without sweeping fingers.

A simple Kydex straight drop is what I am using now, and it works great. If you can find one in time you might as well get it.

Blade-Tech Drop/Offset

Shooting a Hi-Power, without a mag well, 13 round magazines (or less if you're using a 40), a kydex holster will take you as far as you want to go.

In my preference, Blade-Tech resdesigned their D/O loop, so I'd get the Tek-Lok version so you'd have something compatible for IDPA, and then buy the seperate D/O loop that they sell.

I don't often use my HP for IPSC, but when I do, I use a Bianchi Askins Avenger holster. It's not especially fast, but it's the holster that I have. If I was looking for a competition-only holster, I'd try to find one of the skeleton-ized rigs with enough adjustment to accommodate the HP. I wouldn't use Kydex, as it will rub the finish off the gun in no time (if that's important).
To drop the hammer, I just stick my off-hand index finger up the magwell, and "goose" the magazine disconnector while pulling the trigger.

I use a Galco Paddle minimalist holster for IPSC. It works fine. I just ordered a Hellweg speed Holster - for my M92FS.

I suggest as a beginner you go for the Production division - unless you have extended mags for your Browning HP, the competition in Limited will be carrying 18-20 round mags in their glocks, 1911's, and they have a huge advantage over you.

Meanwhile in lowly production - 10 round mags or hicaps downloaded to 10 round mags - everyone plays on an even field.

Thanks all for the good feedback on holsters. I now have at least a decent sampling of items to look over. Thanks also for the advice on the hammer drop... so simple...

I cannot compete in production because the HP is single action only so it looks like limited or limited 10 for the time being.

Thanks again

lou

BHP holster

Hi Lou:

I started shooting USPSA/IPSC with a Browning and enjoyed it a lot. The kydex holsters are all good. I used a Don Hume belt slide holster and it worked fine for IPSAC and IDPA both. Later on I switched to a Safariland 011. And now I use it with my 2011. There should be some of these still kicking about, perhaps used. The 012 will work, too and there was a special on them a while back. There are some plus two basepads out there, some 20 round Browning (SAS?) mags and some South African 17 rounders. I think you can have fun AND be pretty competitive.

Cheers,

Norm

Norm,

Thanks for the feedback... What division did you compete in? I think I will start in limited 10, I have ordered 6 10 round factory mags with rubber base pads and I have also ordered 2 of the 17 rnd south african mags to test out. I have read that they may have problems with the feed lips cracking but i am going to test them and see how they work.

I am really looking forward to my first time out on the 28th...

Take care...

Lou

BHP in USPSA

Hi Lou:

I started out in Limited. We had just the 2 divisions back then.
If you are competing in L-10, the stock 13 round mags (Mec-Gar) are marginally better as they will seat more easily when laoded with 10.

So try your new mags early enough that you can return them if they don't work.

Be careful, too, of off-brand magazines as some don't have a good taper and will cause you to fiddle for minutes to align them on a reload. Don't ask how I know.

Too bad there isn't an easy mag well solution.

Good luck and have fun. Oh, and above all be safe.

Cheers,

Norm

Back