Hi-Power Practical

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gunz387

What are your opinions on brownings hi-power practical pistols. Do they need any gun smithing work done on them? Are they reliable, durable, and ccw and home protection worthy, whats your experience with there accuracy? Do they stand up to a beating and keep on ticking? Do they have a long life with fireing them often? Would they be your choice of a pistol for protection if all hell was about to break loose on earth? any and all opinions would be greatly appreciated. (not a question on 9mm performence)

thanks,
Reed

[This message has been edited by Gunz387 (edited August 15, 1999).]

Greetings. The practicals are very good pistols and I would not hesitate to use one in a life and death situation. HPs are my favorite semiauto as I can hit better with them than practically any other handgun of that type. I've shot several and they all worked, grouped well, and had their fixed sights very well-regulated right from the factory. Best.

I have only had experience with one Practical Hi-Power and it was a good gun. It could have used some trigger work (as most Hi-Powers could) but was very reliable and looked good too.

On the question of Browning HP Practical's:
The Practical 9m/m that I currently own is
my first Browning ever. I like the weapon
very much indeed. As Mr. Camp stated, they
are virtually ready to shoot; right out of
the box. Yes, I wouldn't hesitate to use it
in a life or death struggle. I do prefer the
Sig-Sauer P226/P228 over the HP; but that's
strictly a matter of choice.

My BHP Practical is one of my favorite pistols now, but that's after a trigger job. When I got it, the trigger was about(my trigger pull gauge doesn't go that high, so I'm guessing) 10 lbs. Also sometimes the trigger didn't fully return. From what the 'smith found, the chrome was added to a trigger that was already on the high side of the tolerances. The hammer and sear also needed a bit of metal removal. Now the trigger pull is crisp, and 5.5 lbs.

My Hi-Power Practical has become one of my favorite guns, but it didn't start out that way. I made a few minor changes, a couple that were just personal preferences.
I hated the three line sights and had a pair of Novak low mounts installed. I removed the magazine disconnect (I know, I know), put a set of Wolff springs throughout and put in a C&S wide trigger, and a beautiful pair of Speigel grips. That's it. No work was done to the barrel or action at all, and my groups reduced by 50%. This gun now shoots "almost" as well as my P-7 and my Customized Colt Combat Elite.

[This message has been edited by kingknives (edited August 16, 1999).]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back