Hi Power MK ???

QA Commando

I keep hearing rave reviews regarding the Hi Power type pistols. I also keep hearing mention of HP Mk III models. I assume that means there is a Mk I and a Mk II. Can someone fill me in on what are the major differences? Is there a HP Mk nothing? If I have a new HP with a MM prefix to the serial number (2000 production), am I likely to have a MK III?

Hello. I don't think there was a MkI, but could be wrong. The MkII was produced for a few years beginning in the mid-80s. It was the first commercially produced HP that had extended ambidextrous thumb safeties and somewhat higher visibility fixed sights over the traditional HP. The front sight was integral to the slide as was a narrow rib that ran the full length of the slide. The bushing area of this gun had a somewhat extended bushing compared to today's guns. Some had a small hole below the muzzle area of the slide about where the front end of the recoil spring would be. Most did not have internal firing pin safeties, although some of the last ones did.

The MkIII is the basic "chassis" on which today's HPs are made. It can be recognized by higher visibility fixed sights. Both front and rear are fitted to the slide via dovetails. The gun has an internal firing pin safety and the same extended ambidextrous thumb safeties as the MkII.
The bushing barely, barely extends beyond the front of the slide. The ejection port is slightly more "squarish" in appearance than any of the previous versions. Most will have a spur hammer unless it's a "Practical," in which case it will have a ball hammer.

For more details, go to http://www.fnhipower.com

Best.

Back