Hi Power Grips

I have some nice thin checkered ones but bought them 25 years ago. I put “thin wood grips for Browning Hi Power” in bing.com and got a bunch of choices, wood and G10.

Hogue offers aluminum grips for the browning hi-power. They're anodized and come in different colors. I've not found any grips thinner than the aluminum hogues.

Some thinner than factory Walnut I have used are Hogue, Navidrex and Spegel. The factory plastic MKIII type grips are thin too, other than for a slight thumb rest on each side...

Thin grips CAN exacerbate hammer bite.
I needed Altamont THICKER grips to get rid of bite without using a glove.

:)

Craig Spegel Rosewood thin grips. They look like they belong on the gun and although looks should be secondary on a handgun - they do look & feel great! Be advised that if you order from Spegel, there will be a wait - he makes them in lots. (at least that was my experience back in 2019)

Would shorter grip screws be required if thin grips are purchased? If so, would the shorter screws be specific to the brand of grips?

Target Hi Power grips circa late 1960s?

I don’t want to hyjack this thread but does anyone recall wood Hi Power Target grips circa mid 1960s? They had a thumb rest (rh) and were deeply checkered. I didn’t believe the stock Hi Power grip could be improved but these managed it. They had a slight palm swell if I recall. They were a dark oak in color. I have no idea of the manufacturer.

Let me know.

These are cocobolo if memory serves; I've had them on my Hi Power .40 S&W & my Practical in 9mm for several years. Both are Hogues and slimmer than the factory grips....standard length factory screws worked with both, as I recall. Best Regards, Rod

Last edited:
I’d like to see Springfield sell their Spegel-ish SA-35 grips individually. They look to be the right combination of texture/aesthetics/functionality to me.

Craig Spegel Rosewood thin grips. They look like they belong on the gun and although looks should be secondary on a handgun - they do look & feel great! Be advised that if you order from Spegel, there will be a wait - he makes them in lots. (at least that was my experience back in 2019)

I've "heard" Spegel is no longer making grips, and a pair of HP grips on ebay recently sold for $400.

I have ???

I don’t want to hyjack this thread but does anyone recall wood Hi Power Target grips circa mid 1960s?
Yes, I recently saw a set of beautiful target wood grip but can't exactly say where. I think they were Altamont. I'll try and locate them again and PM you..... :confused:

Be Safe!!!

Red paint on inside of standard grips ???

Does anyone know why original grips were painted red, on the inside. I'm talking about the standard issues "thin" walnut grips. ..... :confused:

Be Safe !!!

Back