Hi-Power clone questions

GregM

I'm looking at a couple of Hi-Power clones and am confused about something. Both Models are FEG, but one has a frame mounted safety and one has a slide mounted safety. Are both these models single action? What's the quality of the FEG models like?

Greg

BHP Clones

Hello Greg, I believe the one with the frame mounted safety
should be single action and is closest to the original BHP.
The other should be a Decocker safety and is double action.
I just looked at one of the DA versions not to long ago. FEG is made in Hungary and I was pretty impressed with it. At $249. NIB I thought it was a pretty nice handgun for the money. I maybe going back for this one myself after the holidays. I don't remember reading anything bad about these guns ;)
Hope this helps :)
Happy Shooting:)

For some laid back gun chat visit
The Triple F Ranch
http://pub33.ezboard.com/bfirearmsfriendsfamily

I have not owned either gun, but have worked on them and I consider them good guns. They are fairly rough inside and can benefit from some smoothing up, but all in all they are a good gun at a very good price.

Jim

I own an FEG and have had excellent results. It is eastern european, big rough but sturdy. Shoots well, handles HP parts, and reasonably priced. Have a friend that owns a SS Belgium model. He likes mine and says they are very close to the original. I have the Single Action. They start stiff, but I would not give mine up.

I own one of the single action HiPower copies.I've tuned both single & double action guns from FEG. The double action gun looks a bit like a HiPower in the slide, but is mechanically more like the S&W double action guns. It uses a different mag also. Both are good guns for the money.

FEG

I bought a FEG last year, and it is a decent gun. It is quite accurate after removing the mag safety. The trigger is actually quite nice now.

But I highly recommend getting a CZ-75 instead. I haven't shot my FEG since getting the 75. You can get a 75B new with a high cap for very close to 300 if you search at a show. It is definitely worth the extra 75-100 dollars. Especially when you consider that the 75b comes with a 50 dollar high cap, while the FEG comes with a really junky 10 rounder.

The build quality is much higher, and the 75B will handle subgun ammo without any problems. The FEG cannot take even +P.

Ive been shooting my FEG hi-power clone for nearly a year in IDPA competitions. Its a good gun for the money.

A different clone but maybe my experience will be of some use....

My first handgun was a FM Highpower, made by the Argentenian military for their airforce under contract from Browning. It was supposed to be an exact copy, except for finish and markings. I shot the heck out of it for a couple years, and liked it (my only other experience being with revolvers), but it finally had problems arise. The trigger sear wore down and was replaced with browning parts, which did NOT fit. My smith tried different things and finally took the old sear and repaired it by building it back up, though he had to remove the magazine safety to finally get it reliable. That repair lasted about a year when it started slipping again. I had him build it back up once more and sold it to a friend of a friend, after carefully explaining what had been done to it and what to expect when it was about to fail again.

my point in writing this, if possible have your dealer check to see how interchangeable the parts are with other highpowers as well as the availability of FEG parts. In my case he could order more of the FM pistols but had difficulty getting individual parts, otherwise we would have just replaced them and I'd have kept it.

I instead saved a little more $$$ and bought a used H&K USP 9mm off a retired police officer, cost $500 compared to the $300 I spent on the highpower clone but had hicap mags, night sights, and a muzzle comp.

I've enjoyed the SA FEG (Model PJK-9HP--the one without the slide-mounted lever) for over a year. It has become progressively more accurate over time (or is that me?) and will regularly shoot 3" groups at 25 yds. Very reliable. My trigger is quite nice even with the mag safety intact (I did polish the area the mag safety contacts on my rougher mags). With the 17 round SW mags, it is a delightful hi-cap 9mm that shoots comfortably, reliably and accuratey.

The DA-Decocker model is the P9R

If it has a squared off trigger guard, it was made after 1994. I had one of these and it was totally reliable and very accurate. I traded it rather than remove the mag safety and smooth the trigger parts, as it needed.

I picked up the FEG HP clone recently, and it's a very decent gun. I had to get that mag safety out of there, it really made the trigger very "crunchy", even after some polishing of the parts. My only complaint is the trigger pull is still a bit more than I like, but I figure I'll try to "wear it in" before I send it out for a trigger job. I spent $229 for mine, and I thought it was a very good price. FWIW, full capacity magazines are readily available for the Browning Hi-Power at reasonable prices, so that's not a reason to pass this pistol up.

I have a FM Hi Power which functions fine but it ain't no FN High Power. Its fairly accurate but its not confidence inspiring especially after you look at the quality of the real thing. I have a friend who has a Hungarian clone and it has had its problems also. I would say save up your pesos and get the real thing.

Back