Hi-Power- Best handgun ever

vanfunk

Hyperbole of course, but...
I just bought an all-Belgian-made Hi-Power, 98% condition with original (I think) magazine. It is absolutely gorgeous, and fits in my mitt like no other. This is my fourth Hi-Power, the others having been traded away foolishly. But this one has a little more character than the rest, a certain je ne sais pas, if you will...
It is, for me, right now, the best handgun in the world.
I think I'm going to weep openly.
Thanks for listening.
vanfunk

Hi Power

I don't like the newer ones. The triggers were not particularly good and the accuracy suffered due to this. I know Hi-Powers are popular, but I don't like the idea of having to get trigger work done on a pistol in that price range.

Je ne sais quoi is the line you're looking for I believe. "Je ne sais quoi" literally means "I don't know what" ie that certain something, that certain quality that eludes one yes is attractive. Je ne sais pas simply means I don't know.

No flame intended. :)

I'll have to agree with Mr. Camp. While I don't have his experience with them, they have become my favorite. There is something about the look and especially the feel of a BHP that is amazing. Triggers something deep in my psyche. And they shoot pretty darn good too!

"....je ne sais...." or whatever. Is that like "dust bunnies"? I mean, I've found some pretty wierd lookin crud in my BHPcarry gun too from time to time. (It's a .40cal unit modified by Bill Laughridge at C&S: welded up beavertail, Novak night sights, etc...a dream piece!) I just use one of them cans of compressed air to blow it all out. No hu-hu. Stay safe.

I purchased a new browning hi-power 3 years ago. I had some 9m/m dies on hand and thought it would be nice to have a medium bore auto available for novice friends to shoot at the range.This is my fist hi-power and maybe I just got lucky. I am very impressed with this handgun. It is very user friendly and makes me look like a decent shot.It remains standard with the exception of a set of uncle mikes grips.In my humble opinion, the high powers are great handguns._Cliff

People's responses to BHPs remind me of the old Harley Davidson ad from years ago.

"You ask me why I like my Harley? If I have to explain it to you, you wouldn't understand."

Just insert High Power for Harley. If we have to explain it, well, you wouldn't understand...

Hello. I've heard this before, but I cannot say what JMB intended. The BHP does have some features that I like more than the 1911 such as the way that the slide stop lever's spring-retarded from moving up during firing unlike the 1911 and the one-piece feedramp. Having said that, the 1911 is darned hard to beat in my view. I just think of them as two, separate, but fine handguns.

Best.

i've never understood how some people can love the HP and shun the CZ/TZ family at half the cost.

i've owned 3 p35's (1 fix, 2 adj sighted) and they all felt great in the hand but shot way low for me and the "snappy" recoil of the light slide always bothered me too.

i picked up a EAA witness as part of a trade awhile back and it had the same great feel as the p35. i felt the bore axis was lower, the thumb safety was easier to hit and the trigger was much better than any p35 i'd ever felt. the gun was stunningly accurate.

JMB may have designed the p35 as an improvement of his 1911 design, but the CZ 97b should be considered the next evolutionary step for the 1911

JMB may have designed the p35 as an improvement of his 1911 design, but the CZ 97b should be considered the next evolutionary step for the 1911

I'd have to disagree here. I love the CZs and the CZ97 particularly; but the gun is a beast. The nice thing about the 1911 is that the slim lines of the gun make it easy for concealed carry in a good holster.

The CZ97 is a great gun; but it looks like a tough one to conceal. Of course, I can remember people thinking the 1911 was too big for a concealment gun so who knows?

JMB had concurrent agreements with Colt and FN and had to avoid infringing his own designs. Either of the two are fine pistols.

BHP's Suck..........but only because they can/are addictive. Waited to long to get one and now will never be witout one. Its got "everything": all-steel, balance, tremendous ergonomics/"feel". It's just plain "right". Considering the time of its introduction it was and is one of the World's Greatest pistols. It doesn't bother me to invest less than a $100 to get a Superb trigger on a $500 Classic.

The 1911 has some features that IMHO are better than the High Power (for example, the trigger), and the High Power has features that are better than the 1911 (the lockup process [no swinging link] and the one-piece feedramp).

Both are my favorite guns. I wouldn't want to choose one over the other.

I really like the CZ's as well.

As the thread starter, I must reply...

Thanks for all your posts. Such strong feelings! And thank you, previous respondent, for cleaning up my French...Mrs. Lewis' 6th grade foreign language class is but a fog now...
Anyway, back to the HP. Yes, it has shortcomings, of course. But the whole is so much greater than the sum of its parts, the "soul" of the gun is so sublime, that its petty faults are forgiven. To heft the HP in the hand is to shake the hand of JMB himself, with a tip of the cap to Dieudonne Saive. It is more than a pistol, it is an artful melange of taste and frank purpose, it is synesthetic. This, dear reader, is transendence. Oh, my. I just read what I've written. Time to put the cap back on the Hoppe's #9, I suppose. Anyway, thanks for being there for me.
vanfunk

Back