Hi Power 9mm vs .40

sks

I currently own the Hi Power in .40 and was wondering if there are many major differences between it and the 9mm. Such as recoil, accuracy, reliability. Anyone have any experience with either of these?

My .40 has been great for 6 years and is my most natural shooting handgun. Love it.

Thanks,

sks

sks; I had a 40 cal Hi-Power for a short time a few years ago. Nice pistol, no complaints. IMHO, why downgrade slightly to a 9mm? Classic pistols but why not try something different? Buy on the wild side! Best, J. Parker

I just shot another member's .40 HP at the range today. To be honest, I was expecting more of a beating, but it was quite nice. He only had some 180gr home brewed loads, but he does tend to load them on the warmer side. The mags were also among the easiest to load to capacity of any pistol I've tried. Very nice.:)

My .40 doesn't have bad recoil in my opinion. However, it is more than my 92FS. One good thing about the Hi Power is that is it heavy and you can always throw it at someone of you run out of ammo. :) My .40 empty weighs more than my 92 loaded with 15 rounds.

Yes, the HP mags are very easy to load, much easier than some other automatics I've loaded.

My interest in the 9mm HP was due to the higher capacity of the 9mm and I don't think you give up too much bullet ability between the .40 and the 9mm, especially if you can load them right or get some good hot loads.

I owned both and while I prefer the ballistics of the 40 I don't prefer the extra muzzle flip that this cartridge produces in the Browning highpower design. The 9mm is better in this gun. Now in Glocks, sigs and other guns I would take the 357 sig or 40 over the 9mm.
PAT

Hello. I am sure it's purely subjective, but I don't care for the "feel" of the forty HPs and sold mine. I much prefer this gun in the original 9mm. Best.

Downsides?

I own both and the 9mm is cheaper to feed, easier to take down, and easier to shoot. I am not a great fan of the 40 S&W but BHP is the best I have shot. The recoil spring in the BHP 40 S&W is a bear. I use a nail or similar object to gain purchase on it by inserting it in the kidney shaped opening. The recoil spring is my only real complaint. Regards, Richard.

I have also owned both. IMO the 9 is miles ahead. More accurate - less recoil - more capacity - better feel (not as bulky).

Back