Hi-Point Info Request

suvdrvr

I just purchased a 9mm Hi-Point. I know they are cheap, ya get what ya pay for, but it was actually a gift from the wife and she's on a budget! Any information on this firearm and maybe the ammo it likes best? Thanks.

J.J.

I think that it was very nice of your wife to buy it for you.

BUT...

I will be TOTALLY HONEST with you about Hi-Point Firearms in general,

:barf: :barf: :barf:

This is in no way meant to be a slam on you or your new present, nor is it meant in any way to be mean spirited.
It is merely my personal opinion on Hi-Points...

Your wife was thinking of you and she did a very sweet thing in buying it for you. She deserves alot of admiration from all of us out there who WISH our wives would buy us guns... ;)

I hope it works well for you, and remember, my OPINION doesn`t mean sh*t if you find that this weapon works well for you.

Good Luck and Best Regards,

Howard

(edited for spelling)

Congrats on your Hi-Point! Don't listen to all the Glock worshippers.My 9mm comp is great and has never failed me.I normally use Remington UMC 115 grain from Wal-Mart.People fail to realize that many of us are on a limited budget.If i was given a Glock tomorrow, it would be on consignment monday!Check out their website at http://www.hi-pointfirearms.com :)

I really don't know what to say. It was a gift from your wife and all. All I can do is relate what my personal experence with the Hi-Point is. I had a 9mm Compact. For some reason, it just would not fire a full mag, and that was with hard ball. Changing mags did not help. Changing ammo did not help. I concluded that there was a serious flaw in the manufacture of the gun. Now, I understand that some of us have had great luck with this gun. I applud your choice and wish you well. Maybe Hi-Point has corrected the flaws in their product. For me however, the the bitterness of a bad product has soured me on the rest of the line. My advice is: take it to the range, and shoot it extensivly!!

I feed my Hi-Point Mostly UMC 9mm and what I reload generally 115 gr stuff...NEVER a stove pipe or any failure to feed I have only fed 1000-2000 rounds through it so far. Hi-Point did some Magazine reworks before I bought mine. Great warranty and great people wo work with I called them and asked about a trigger job to reduce the trigger from the stock 4lbs they said send it to us we will do it for you at no charge,so they know the job is done right I'll be sending it in soon :D My uncle who is a FFL dealer knows several people who have bought the 9mm compact and 9mm comp and every only has good things to say about them.

Enjoy you new pistol

I'd hate to say anything bad about your wife on this matter. It was a very thoughtful gift. There are three things I think women should understand about their husbands. Don't buy them tools, cars, or guns. The gun is actually reasonably reliable and wouldn't be a bad choice for somebody on a very tight budget. The problem you run into with skimping on the gun is that to be proficient with any gun, you should pump at least 200 rounds through it and about a box every month or so. This much shooting eats up more money than was paid for the gun in the first place. Add to that holsters, cases, cleaning equipment (if you don't already have it) and you realize that the gun itself is not the most expensive portion of the purchase.

There is one thing that I'll add. I once got a Christmas present from my wife. She bought me a woodworking bench. I had talked to her many times about getting a bench for reloading and she thought she was doing me a favor. I was torn so much that I almost kept the thing. I didn't need it and didn't have the room, but I still regret the whole situation. She has since not bought me much. I sat down with her and talked it over. We agreed that she can buy me clothes (and should), videos, food, art, prostitutes, etc. But she will NOT buy me tools, cars, or guns.

I'd keep the gun. Get some lapping compound and lap the frame / slide contact surfaces so that it operates well. Make sure to remove it all. Treat the gun like a tool. Keep it in the camper, boat, car, or garage and let your wife know it was well appreciated.

My humble opinion.....

I bought my hi-point 9mm from a friend. He never had a problem with it, I never had a problem with it, EVER!

Hi-Point offers a no-fault free of charge repair policy on all their firearms, no questions asked. They don't even care if you are the first or 50th owner. The original owner told me about when he purchased the gun, he was looking at the Glocks and just didn't like the way that it felt in his hand. He asked the employee at the store to show him something similar, and he was introduced to the hi-point. It felt better in his hand and the fact that it was less than half the price didn't hurt either. Some people think that just because they get a firearm and it doesn't work right out of the box it's junk. My high point 9mm is the first handgun that I owned. It is as accurate as I need it to be at this time, I'm still getting used to it. I like the gun so much I plan to seriously check out their .45 ACP and a 9mm Carbine rifle.

Everyone likes different things, if we didn't we wouldn't have choice, then we would be ina situation like cold war Russia and have to stand in line for the same stale lof of bread.

Your wife was great for purchasing you such a gift, let her know so.

PS - I usually shoot Remington UMC 115gr, never had a problem with it.

Back