Hi George and gang!

BigG

I haven't got my Brownell's catalog handy, but it seems to me if you want to remove bluing to get your pistol in the white, there is a solution that will do that. Or am I all wet?

I had a real cool (to me) idea that I would like to try but it involves removing the blue down to the white metal. I would prefer to do that without polishing if possible. Also, if there is such a solution, is it regular household chemicals or something only available from Brownells?

Thanks in advance for your help.

BigG, get some Naval Jelly at your local hardware store and follow the instructions. If you decide to get it from Brownells they sell a solution called Steel White that works really well. George

Brownell's sells two kinds of blue removers, Steel White and Steel White 2...They claim they safely bring a gun to "in the white" condition without harming the steel.

I heard (read, been told) that naval jelly, being essentially a phosphoric acid solution, could cause hydrogen embrittlement of the metal. It shouldn't affect soft solder as this is a non-ferrous alloy and thus far less reactive by nature...

Back