Hi all!Another 625 owner!

Stoneage

Inactive
Been wanting one for awhile.Walked into the local Gander Mountain store last Sunday and there it was! .45 acp,5 inch barrel,with "45cal model of 1988" printed on right side. On the frame,behind the crane it says 625-2,with the serial #BDC56** . The store concidered it as a "grade A" revolver.It probably has been fired but it doesn't look like it. Asking price was $439 . Drug my wife over to the gun case pointed and said "If you let me take it home,I won't ask for another gun again,please!! When she said ok I almost did my happy dance:D .Brought it home this afternoon.My 586 and 686 were my favorites but they have competition now:D . Sorry for rambling but I had to tell somebody.Great site I'll be in touch again!

If you took it home for that, or even less, you did A-OK.:cool: Congrats on your new find, and having such an understading spouse.:)

Hhoooooaaaaa! :D

Those 625s are the cat's meow.

They have won some serious bulleye records for a couple of fella's.

And hey you can shoot SWCs at 700 fps up to ripping 1200 fps 45Super in there.

I just bought a 625 NIB about three weeks ago and am waiting for my gunsmith to work his action magic on the trigger. Like butter.

Congratulations!!!

Smith has made a lot of mistakes but most of their revolvers are the best shooters in the business.

Stoneage,

Welcome to the 625 fraternity!!! I predict you'r gonna really like that gun.

Be forewarned: Just like Lay's chips, one is never enough...

Good Luck...

Joe

Congratulations on you fine new handgun. I own one marked the same as yours except mine says 1989 and has a 4" barrel. It's my favorite revolver, I did a trigger job by installing a Bulleye spring kit and lightly polishing the internals and what a difference it made. I own many handguns, both wheel guns and semiautos and my 625 is my favorite wheel gun. You are blessed with an understanding wife, tell her that too. It will help pave the way for your next acquisition. ;)

7th

Congratulations! I also own an M625 model of 1989. It's by far my most accurate revolver, and is at least as accurate as my Kimber Gold Match. Well, I guess that means it's my most accurate handgun period. All new shooters I introduce to the sport of shooting prefer it to all my other handguns for accuracy. If yours shoots as well as mine does you got a steal for that price. Congrats again, you're going to love it....Ron

Thank you all for the kind words

I have done some searching on TFL about the 625 and have learned alot. I have one Question, When a loaded moon clip is put in the cylinder, There's alot of gap between the bullet and forcing cone. I assume this normal? Anyway it's going to the range today.

Stoneage,

As you noticed the 625's chambered in .45 ACP have a lot of "jump" between the bullet in the cylinder and the forcing cone. The frame is cut large enough to allow the use (same N frame) of longer revolver cartridges such as .44 Mag and .45 Colt. Years ago S&W used to build the ACP M25's with a shorter cylinder and an extended forcing cone, but most people thought they looked "strange" so they went to a full length cylinder, which means it is quite a bit longer than the ACP round.

My five inch 625 Classic is chambered in .45 Colt rather than ACP, one of 1500 made. Quite a favorite of mine.

Just finished reloading 500 rounds of 10mm 200 grain ammo for my SW 610.

So since I'm reloading, what are your favorite target loads for your 625?

I shoot indoors 65 percent of the time and the remainder outdoors when its not pouring :( here in Seattle.

Got a case (2300) of Montana Gold 230 grain JHPs and some W231. Thinking about trying some TiteGroup.

And also some 200 grain LSWCs?

Favorite recipes and accuracy at various distances such as at 25 and 50 yards?

For 230 Rainiers, I like 4.1 gr Titegroup a lot, but you need a hard roll crimp to get complete combustion fo the light powder load. Shoots great in my 625.

Steve

I too have a Model of 1988 and am glad to know that only 1,500 were made. I love the gun and the quick loading afforded by the full moon clips.
You got a keeper at a good proce.
mac;)

Back