Hey, It's My New P64!

Capybara

Found one of these in Prescott at a pawn shop a few weeks ago and ended up not buying it. It was $50.00 more than I paid for this P64 but it was in much better shape, although this one isn't bad. I am looking forward to experiencing the horrible DA trigger pull and the supposedly nasty recoil ;-) This is a pretty cool little gun, the bore looks like new and the workmanship seems to be excellent.

01_zps71f4e754.jpg

02_zps4d20fb61.jpg

03_zpsf5d06378.jpg

04_zps9b087a22.jpg

I've got several of these little gems.

Wolff springs offers 17, 18, 19, and 20 pound hammer springs. I replaced all of mine with 18 pound springs and the trigger is vastly improved. I probably could have gone to 17 pounds, but oh well.

DA triggers are now good, on par with a standard revolver DA. And SA trigger is light and crisp.

If you are mildly mechanically inclined, the fix is mildly challenging. I watched a few Youtube videos and then tackled the project. You just need a screwdriver, a couple small paperclips, and a set of vice grips.

When dealing with springs and small parts, make sure you do your work inside a large plastic bag so the spring doesn't get lost if it launches across the room, or doesn't put your eye out!

I am going to shoot it first but thank you for the information, I may go that route if the trigger bugs me too much. Then again, it's a C&R plinker to me, not a target gun so we'll see.

I agree Doc, I am pretty excited to try this one out. I have to say, I will not be bothered too much if it is snappy and has some recoil, I kind of like guns that recoil. I have my Mosins and Mausers, they have nice recoil and then I was crazy enough to buy a 10" barrel 12ga. AOW. Three inch magnum 00 buck is pretty fun through it. Excess recoil can be obnoxious but for a few rounds, it can be pretty fun too.

Last edited:
Capy

For some...including me....it is an emotional experience.

I like full loads of BP cartridges because of the emotion.

To feel it in you hand, or for a rifle, the sore shoulder.

I don't know how it could be better.

You were lucky in that you got one with the flat panel left side grip. Most came with the thumb-rest grip. While that thumb rest might make it more pleasant for some people to shoot, it really interferes with carrying the pistol. I swapped mine out for a flat panel soon after buying and I'm glad I did - but finding the flat panel was tough. They are kind of scarce.

That's interesting Doyle, thanks for the education. I was completely unaware that that was a thing with the P64, guess I did luck out.

You were lucky in that you got one with the flat panel left side grip. Most came with the thumb-rest grip.

I've never seen one with stock grips that had anything but a flat panel left side. Sure you aren't talking about another type of gun? If not, I'm double lucky because the two P64s I have came to me with flat plain grips just like Capy's.

I've never seen one with stock grips that had anything but a flat panel left side. Sure you aren't talking about another type of gun? If not, I'm double lucky because the two P64s I have came to me with flat plain grips just like Capy's.

Positive.

Google "P-64 thumb rest grip" and you'll see what I'm talking about. It appears that they were added to the P-64 during the importation process before they were changed to C&R eligible. Apparantly, having the thumb rest added enough "points" to make them importable.

I am going to shoot it first but thank you for the information, I may go that route if the trigger bugs me too much. Then again, it's a C&R plinker to me, not a target gun so we'll see.

Suit yourself. But keep in mind that a $10 (parts plus shipping) part and 1/2 hour installation will take your pistol from "I don't really care for it and don't like to shoot it," to "hey, this trigger is pretty good, and I would definitely consider carrying this little gem."

The P64 seems to have 3 drawbacks.
Trigger - fixable for about $10 spring
Caliber - good hollowpoints are available (I feel that's about the minimum for SD).
Heal mag release - can train to use it well

The Wolff spring set is en route. HPs? I may try some but not sure if I will carry this pistol IF I get my CCW (In California, it is on again/off again with the Peruta ruling).

I've been so much on the fence between one of them, or the P-83 (not C&R, but still a "competitor"...)

Seems the 9mm Mak ammo is available again; I had shelved the desire to get one of these because it had been all but unavailable until now.

Back