hey guys

The reason to add solder is to get the tin. Look for lead free solder at a hardware store. Get the stuff that says right on the roll, 95% tin- 5% antimony. That's the best, it'll cost around 13-15 bucks for a half pound roll.

Another option is to get pure tin from roto metals.

http://www.rotometals.com/Tin-Ingot-s/27.htm

15 bucks per pound, is better than the same money for a half pound.

Hello, 1chig. Before the lead-free stuff came out, I always used 50-50 solder, it was easy to calculate..need one lb. tin?...buy two lbs. 50-50.

I use rolled solder also at times to help fillout & to "tuffen up" alloys but for fillout more than 2% is not needed .Tin will only harden lead so far then stop.

Most wheel weights contain close to that to start with that`s why there highly sought after & bring premium prices ingotized , there ready to cast bhn 9-14 ready to go !!

Rite now I have a supply of isotope lead which is 95/2.5/2.5 & I add a 4oz. bit of babbit toa 20# pot to tuffen it up a bit so my 358156 HPs will hang together after openin + i can push it as herd as it needs be to make it open !

only solder i can find at lowes says it contains tin, copper and selinium and it doesnt give % on any. Will this work? Im new at casting bullets and there will be many more questions. Thats why i love this forum, i always get the help i need. Cant wait till i learn enough about this that maybie i might be able to help someone else out a little.

Yes. That's lead-free plumbing solder and should be about 95% tin. Just pretend it is pure tin. The selenium and copper help harden the alloy.

If in doubt, look up the solder's MSDS online. As long as it contains no zinc, you are good to go.

If you want the 95-5 "AKA" Plumber's Silver solder go to either a welding supply store, or a plumbing store.
As far as working with stiick on weights it will harden the alloy. I would advise if you have stick ons find someone that cast for muzzle loaders, and/or shot gun slugs. They will gladly trade even or better for clip on weights. The stick on ones tend to be close to pure lead.

stik on are close to 40:1 alloy which is prefered by muzzle loaders & C&B revolver shooters .

As long as ya can put a dent in it with fingernail!!!

I have a ton of the stick-ons I am planning on using for my muzzle stuffer. I was curious if I could harden them up for pistol and rifle?

I used stik ons 50/50 with wheel weights when I can for revolver casting

Rifle ya can water drop em & get by with em , just no super speed barn burner loads !

At the barn !!

I find it hard to go faster than 2500 in a rifle with lead , Now I know it`s possible with the rite alloy & lubes , but if your going to put that much alloys & $$ into a cast it`ll only be used for target , too brittle for hunting purposes.

Back