Hey George, question...

I got the Kasenit yesterday, and did a test run with it. I hardened a common nail. Wow! It really worked.

Couple of questions about rehardening the sear seat area on my friend's S&W revolver...

1. What's the best way to heat sink the part to keep it from getting too hot where I don't want it? I'm thinking of using a couple of pieces of oversized sheet copper and holding the whole schmear with an old channel locks.

2. How many times should I repeat the hardening process for a sear seat? Once? Twice? More?

3. What's the best way to quench? Straight water? Demineralized water? Oil? Water with a float layer of oil?

4. After hardening and quenching, how much redressing of the part will I have to do, if any?

Mike,

1) Copper should work. I usually clamp the parts between two pieces of 3/8" flat stock. Anything to draw the heat away from the rest of the part.

2) I haven't found it necessary to repeat. I always dunk the prepped parts in the Kasenite instead of sprinkling. That seems to make them a little harder.

3) I use 5W motor oil as a quench.

4) You should have very little dressing to do. Prep the part prior to treating.

George

Back