Hey Class III fans! Do yourself a favor!

MicroBalrog

----- Original Message -----
To: rep.musgrave@mail.house.gov
Sent: Saturday, September 18, 2004 6:36 PM
Subject: 1986 FOPA

Dear Mrs. Musgrave!
Is it possible for you and your colleagues to start a bill (or, probably better, a hidden clause in some 'must pass' legislation) to repeal 922(o), aka the machinegun clause of the 1986 Firearms Owners Protection Act?
I am sure it would be an easy thing to pass - the law is proven to have had zero positive effect on crime, and even ATF representatives have testified in Congress to that end.
Awaiting yor response,
Sincerely Yours,
Boris Karpa

Can you Americans write similar letters too?
His e-mail is rep.musgrave@mail.house.gov and he leads the Congressional 2nd Amendment Caucus.

So you want the poor Congressperson and staffers to track down the relevant BATF testimony and write their own bill? That's not going to happen.

Give them documentation. Cites. Everything you can find.
Write the bill for them. Make it easily digestible. Go search thomas.loc.gov (try the THR library main page, top right corner) for some bills, and use those as models.

I'm a bit concerned that you as a non-citizen are writing to our congresspeople suggesting legislation. No offense, but that isn't likely to help our situation.

Tyme - it is exactly because of the, well, shiftiness of this that I posted this here. My opinion is not going to have any weight whatsoever with Mrs. Musgrave - I don't live there. You are. Yours will.

It has nothing to do with respect or intelligence. It's a matter of courtesy that if you want legislation passed, you should give them at least a rough draft of a bill, along with documentation for any assertions you make.

It's great that you're concerned about our rights partly because you might be moving here. However, until you're a U.S. resident or a U.S. citizen living abroad, I think it's a very bad idea for you to send legislative suggestions Congress. They simply won't care what you think, even if you write a thorough paper letter and send it.

Paper mail from the Middle East may not even be delivered to the Capitol. I have no idea.

Tyme, it is not that I might or might not be moving in to the US (although I do want to).

I experience living in a country with no Bill of Rights every day. I don't want this to happen to anybody else. My country is screwed so badly by the tyranny bug it will not get on it's feet in the foreseeably future. Yours still have a chance.

And yes, nobody care about my opinion. I know that. That's why I started this thread - because I figured there'd be someone on the other side of the pond that would care enough to write a similar letter - and that they would listen to that someone.

Micro, you and I have had our differences, but I want you to know I mean this sincerely:

Thank you.

I wish we had more Americans who cared as much.

Now if we could just get you straigtened out on the social issues...

;)

my thoughts on this first draft

i like alot about what was in this first draft. i do think that things shold be taken in steps if we wish to get our rights back. i think trying to get the school zones striked out is to much. as well i think leave out the federal concealed weapons permits. i think its trying to swallow too much at once.

if i could include anything it would be that

1.) persons from the age 18-21, that currently hold a state issued ccw may purchase a handgun, and handgun ammo, from that state only. this is called trial handgun ownership. their handgun will be registered until they reach the age of 21,this will be called trial registration.. when they reach the age of 21 the trial registration documents on that handgun must be destroyed. if at any time during the trial handgun ownership the ccw is revoked. the said person has 30 days to turn the handgun over to law enforcement.

2.stricker penalties/jail sentencing for people who commit crime with a weapon during trial handgun period

If you do decide to do that...

Know the side that the antis occupy well that way you don't incite flaming on their part...i.e. don't say machine gun, say something else like...Humm.... :o

I can see some potential. But first draft a bill... :rolleyes:

Quote "I wish we had more Americans who cared as much."

No Kidding Most Americans don't even vote, must less value their rights and care to defend them. (present company not included)

Back