Hey, Bill: You're Fired!

Coinneach

Staff Alumnus
Re-reading the Constitution and Amendments on DC's site, I came across Amendment XIV, Section 3:

No person shall be a Senator or Representative in Congress, or elector of President and Vice-President, or hold any office, civil or military, under the United States, or under any State, who, having previously taken an oath, as a member of Congress, or as an officer of the United States, or as a member of any State legislature, or as an executive or judicial officer of any State, to support the Constitution of the United States, shall have engaged in insurrection or rebellion against the same, or given aid or comfort to the enemies thereof.

But Congress may by a vote of two-thirds of each House, remove such disability.

Damn. T'was good while it lasted.

------------------
"We are going to fight. We are going to be hurt.
But in the end, we will stand."
--Roland Deschain

[This message has been edited by Coinneach (edited June 18, 1999).]

Coin,

Sometimes this is sooooo confusing...

Let me see if I can put it in more common terms. (Please correct me if this is wrong...)

Anyone of an official office having taken an oath to support the Constitution shall be removed from that office by a 2/3'rds vote of congress if found guilty of insurrection, rebellion, or giving aid or comfort to those who are guilty of insurrection and/or rebellion. (The individual being the disability)

Or does it mean that congress can nullify this amendment by a 2/3'rd vote? (The amendment being the disability)

Curious minds want to know!
smile.gif

------------------
John/az

"Just because something is popular, does not make it right."

www.countdown9199.com

[This message has been edited by John/az2 (edited June 18, 1999).]

I think what they meant by the last sentence was, "You can be a Treasonous Rat-Bastard(tm) and still hold office if you can convince 2/3 of Congress to agree with you."

Sounds like what happened a few months ago.

------------------
"We are going to fight. We are going to be hurt.
But in the end, we will stand."
--Roland Deschain

thank y'all for trying to clearify that, as my brain ain't working good right now(no i ain't drunk!!) and i weas needing help!!!!
smile.gif

------------------
what me worry? hell yes!!

If 2/3 is needed for removal doesn't that mean that 1 more than 1/3 is needed to block removal? Does anybody really think that would be a problem? We sadly learned it isn't much of an obstacle at all.

Back