Hesse arms .50 AE

Bushwhacker

Being that Hesse Arms is the only one that makes the AR-15 type rifle in .50 action express can anyone tell me anything about it? How would this rifle be for a anti/sniper rifle with a 24 inch barrel and a A-3 flat top ?

I think that you are limited to a 20" barrel from Hesse arms. Dont you think that it would be a better option to use a "rifle" load instead of a pistol load in a rifle? I am shure that a .50AE would really ruin someones day but a .308 or a even larger load would REALLY ruin someones day, dont you think? The .50 has a rainbow trajectory and I think that it would be difficult to shoot it at long range. I wouldnt mind having one for Deer hunting though. I think it would really do a number on a deer at close range ;)

[This message has been edited by Fargo (edited April 21, 1999).]

Hey I was over in hand guns and heard some one say 50 caliber AR-15...

HUH?

Show me a link... I want details... I want one of those guns!

------------------
SICK AND TIRED OF...

Here is the URL for the 50 cal AR 15...

Something new to lust after!

http://www.hessearms.com/con1-9.htm

The discription cut and pasted here:

The Hesse .50 Action Express features a heavy barrel in .50 Action Express caliber. This is the largest caliber that is legal for a civilian to own. Launching a 325 grain bullet at 1850 feet per second generates over 2200 ft/lbs of energy, making this the most powerful loading that we offer. The rifle includes a 10 round magazine and special muzzle brake. This rifle is an excellent choice when traveling in bear country or anywhere serious firepower is needed.

Okay... THIS IS WHAT I AM GOING TO GET!

[This message has been edited by Kodiac (edited April 21, 1999).]

[This message has been edited by Kodiac (edited April 21, 1999).]

Kodiac,If only we could convince Bushmaster to make one in say .50BMG then that would be the mouse gun that ROARS ;) and BTW I really like my Bushmaster AR-15 shorty!

Heck yeah... Bushmasters are great...
A .50 cal Bushmaster Shorty, vert-foregrip and a aim point mounted in a "scout" position for real fast target aquisition... That would rock. I am trying to talk BM into making a kit like ZM's LR-300! Imagine THAT in .50! OUCH! :)

------------------
SICK AND TIRED OF...

Guys, I'm seeing the .50AE AR15 as a possible home defense gun. No overpenetration, high one shot stop probability, controllable from a shoulder fired weapon. Gotta have a 16" barrel though; 20" too long. In that case, we should then go for .45acp. Much cheaper ammo, just as good a stopper, especially if loaded hot for the rifle.

So, just like with a pistol, .50 AE doesn't really have niche.

------------------
Life is hopelessly complex for those who have no principles.

No niche? It's not very efficient as a self-defence cartrige but that doesn't disqualify it from more exotic uses. How about as a sidearm for those in bear country? Or for hunting just about anything you want with a handgun? Bowling pin shoots? There are many possibilities for those who need a fierce kicking handgun round or a medium power rifle cartrige.

Since Hesse can do a .50 AE, a .440 CorBon conversion for the AR should be possible as well. Think of the potential with some of the heavyweight .429" spitzers from Northern Precision. You would probably have to remove the spacer in the .50AE AR magazine in order for the spitzer-loaded rounds to fit/work.

I am sure any gunsmith worth the title could make short work of the 20 inch barrel - cut it down to 14.5 and put on a muzzel break. That would make it legal length. Hesse doesnt make one shorter - cause they dont make as many rifles as the other makers, and producing this rifle only in the average length reduces there cost. chopping the barrel would only cost you about 50 bones and maybe 3 days waiting. Not bad for such a weapon.

------------------
SICK AND TIRED OF...

Olympic Arms makes them. I believe they make both 16" and 20" barrels. They could probably also make a 10" one if you provided the proper paperwork. They also have the .440 CorBon I think, not sure though.

<a href="http://www.olyarms.com">Olympic Arms</a>

now that I checked out their website I believe I may have been mistaken.

[This message has been edited by ArizonaMorgan (edited May 17, 1999).]

Back