Heritage Stealth - Worth looking at?

KnoxVol

Hello again.....

Does anyone have an opinion ( yeah, right :rolleyes: ) on the Heritage Stealth 9mm and/or .40 SW pistols for CCW?

I know they get decent reviews but what about real life people that have them. Free lifetime repair and under 300.00 made me wanna ask.

Knox

Hail fellow Volunteer! ~ insert secret handshake and code here ~ :)

I have been to GunCraft several times.

KnoxVol

The stealth has a nice trigger but an awkward safety. I held a stealth once and played with the safety a bit - no perceptible detents. I know someone who considered epoxying the safety to the off position. His problem with the safety was that when he tried to hit it with his thumb he sometimes got the magazine release instead and it dropped free. I shot his stealth once and remember the light smooth trigger and good accuracy but so-so sights. If you are willing to exoxy the safety it might be a good gun - I THINK you would just disconnect the firing pin (striker) block and I THINK that would just make it possible for the gun to discharge if dropped very hard right onto the muzzle. Don't quote me on that though. The safety also blocks the trigger.

I had one in 9mm

I liked it fine. You should be able to find a lot of my comments on it by running a search on "Stealth." I think they're great values, and neat little guns.

I agree with Erich. The pistol is underappreciated and a great value. Size is comparable to the Glock 26/27, but the rounded slide profile is (IMO) preferable to the blocky Glocks. The safety system (i.e., a partially cocked striker that fully cocks and releases when the trigger is fully pulled) is also like the Glock.

The operating system is gas-delayed blowback, similar to the HK P-7 series, and as such the gun can get pretty hot during sustained firing. It also needs proper attention to clean the gas piston, albeit nothing unreasonable.

The trigger is like nothing I've ever felt, being best described by somebody as like a water pistol. As such it is great for training new shooters, since it is almost impossible to stage and less likely to be jerked.

Mags are made by Mec-Gar, reasonably priced, and very well made.

Heritage customer service is very good, should you need them.

The only thing I don't like is the manual safety, as it can loosen. The good thing is that when drawn from a properly boned holster, the safety may swipe off -- but it can't swipe on -- and thus not impede firing when you really need it.

Another potential drawback is that I *heard* that Heritage has stopped making these, so the guns may be hard to find. For now, spare parts seem readily available, but that could change in the future if the gun stays out of production.

I'm nearly a neighbor....over in Sparta (TN) & we frequently drive the 100 miles to K'town to shop.
I've been carrying a Heritage Stealth 40 since last November when I bought one to strap on my bike handlebars during daily rural bicycle rides & discovered after having Lou Alessi make a talon plus iwb holster to fit it that it's weight of 26 oz. fully loaded with 11 rounds feels SOOOOO.... much better at the end of the day than the 35 oz. Kimber Custom Compact with 8 rounds in it's talon plus. :D I'd rather shoot the Kimber, due to the slower "push" & longer sight radius, but the Heritage is nearly as accurate & doesn't try to rust when it gets rained on or sweat soaked. The trigger pull does take a little getting used to, but that was really no big deal. For a carry gun for self defense, I didn't feel I needed a target pistol. Mine is the one gun I'd sell last.

The more Vols the better...

...and there are a bunch of us on here now. :cool:

If you are looking for a reliable, lightweight, locked-breech design pistol in 9mmP or .40Auto, suggest you check the offerings from Kel-Tec.

I carry a P-11 [11 rounds of 9mmP] quite a bit in the summertime as it's small enough to conceal easily and really light for that much firepower [just 15 oz. unloaded].

It has nearly 3000 rounds through it without a hiccup of any kind...and it eats anything I feed it.

Anyone in K'town going to the Holloway show this weekend?

Thanks Fellow Volunteer!

How are you carrying that Kel-Tec? IWB? Ever carry in a fanny pack? I need a lighter, smaller gun with firepower. I really want to stay with the 9mmP if possible to save on having all different ammos around plus I like the feel of the 9....for me at least.

My fav-O-rite is my 9mm BHP but is too big and heavy to carry for too long ~ plus being SAO.

Back