Heritage Arms .22 experience, opinions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gwinnydapooh

Retired Screen Name
Y'all tired of me yet?
I'm still looking for that gun to work on the fiancee with. I was in the local gunshop today getting acquainted (w/o her, she's on Fall Break) and the one I handled that I think we could both really enjoy was a Heritage Rough Rider. It's a little .22 SA revolver--looks like a "cowboy movie" gun. Oddly enough, it has a safety as well. Also comes with a .22 mag cylinder for $125. I like this gun a lot, and I think she'll like it when she handles it. The price is great, but it worries me. I searched this forum and could find only one mention of this gun, and it was negative. Surely someone else has used it? Will I be disappointed with this gun as a first .22 to plink with?

------------------
Don

"Its not criminals that go into schools and shoot children"
--Ann Pearston, British Gun Control apologist and moron

I have no knowledge of that make or model, but...

Some years ago my brother bought a Colt SA 22 for his wife, which came with a 22 Mag cylinder.Neither he nor I(Better shot) could do all that much with the piece,and I'd had lots of experience with SAs. The long slow hammer fall and heavy trigger(inevitable due to geometry) weren't conducive to accuracy.

Since your fiancee will do better with a gun that's more accurate,meaning she'll like the hits and not get discouraged, try a target 22 like the ones by Ruger,Browning or Colt is you can find one used.

Anything that has the convertible feature (meaning two different ammo calibers; i.e. .22lr & .22mag) is a compromise. A weapon is designed to fire one caliber and the second is more or less piggybacked on to create a package "deal" for the consumer. These two calibers are not the same diameter (.22lr = .223 & .22mag = .224) therefore the mfgr usually designs the weapon to fire the larger caliber. Thus accuracy suffers when the smaller caliber is used. And in this case, .22mag is not cheap whereas .22lr is the least expensive ammo around. So practiciing with the .22lr is not very productive as accurary will suffer and will not bring out the potential accuracy of the weapon. Overall not a very good choice for a novice shooter.

i like mine but as stated above the accuracy leaves alot to be desired i only have a 22mag cylender though as my father bought this used it is a fun gun just to shoot though if your looking for accurcy i would go with somthing else like ruger simiauto or smoting along those lines

------------------
oneshotonekill

Thanks guys. What you've said makes sense. I just had visions of this nice little gun she'd think was "cute" and could shoot all the time, plus dollar signs dancing in my head--at $125, I could afford to get this one AND a decent 9mm like the FEG or something. Well, she's coming back from break on Tuesday, so we'll go over together and she can handle several guns and see what she thinks. For all I know, she may have hated the gun on sight anyway.
:)

------------------
Don

"Its not criminals that go into schools and shoot children"
--Ann Pearston, British Gun Control apologist and moron

A friend of mine bought one last year because he couldn't afford a Ruger "Single-Six". The overall quality is pretty rough and the finish is on the poor side. I'm certain it won't stand up to much hard use, but it does go bang when you pull the trigger and even hits the targets at twenty-five yards most of the time. Notice I didn't say it formed a group when it hit the target. :) We did a little smoothing on the trigger action, and came up with a fairly decent pull, but overall, I'd say this pistol is a waste of time. If you like the Single action .22's, Look around for a Ruger and you can find a good used one for under two hundred dollars.

The design is a copy of one from the sixties I believe from germany, basically the same gun as the Colt "Frontier Scout" of the same era.

------------------
TJS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back