Heritage 9 shot revolvers. Any good?

TruthTellers

I've looked at old threads about Heritage revolvers and the responses are very positive, but I think most of the people who replied were past/current owners of 6 shot Heritage revolvers, not 9 shot models.

Right now a 6.5" 9 shot Heritage with adjustable sights is at the top of my list. For those who've owned one, how did the timing and lockup hold up over time? Any issues?

Same here 6 shot 22/22mag ... I really like mine...

2lcr8k7.jpg

Last edited:
Low cost .22 pinker. Only shot the 6 shot as well, but it seemed solid enough and shot where I pointed it. For something fun and affordable, why not?

I have the six shot. If I recall correctly l, when researching about it, the nine shot doesn't have a magnum cylinder available like the six shot. I bought the six shot 22lr and bought the mag cylinder later.

They shoot okay, but they aren't good quality handguns. I owned one for a while, and my BiL has had one forever. Most of them have zamak frames. The safety is an abomination. The plastic handle on the ejector rod will break eventually. On the other hand, they will shoot about as well as the small sights allow.

I traded mine towards something else and waited until a finish-challenged Single Six showed up on Gunbroker and no one really wanted to bid on it. One bottle of Cold Blue later and I have a far superior SA 22 revolver with better sights that will last pretty much forever.

If you want a cheap 22lr SA revolver, the old Tanfoglios are always for sale on Gunbroker for about $100 used. (I got mine for less.) They still have the stupid safety, but are steel and better quality overall.

My two six-shooter Rough Riders have been great, and well worth the modest price as compared to "approved" names of the American Society of Gun Snobbery. Don't see any reason for the nine-shooter to be any different.

9 shooter

I really like my Taurus 94 9 shooter. While it is double action, it's a rather impractical double action. The DA trigger pull is about 13 pounds. Or as I like to say, two men and a boy.
Research has indicated that the DA issue is not "fixable" by changing springs. It's a function of the size of the frame combined with the healthy whack that is required for rimfire ammo.

That said the single action pull is OK, and the little 9 shooter is accurate. It's all steel which is a substantial upgrade over the heritage single action.

I don't think the 94 is currently in production, used ones are out there. I paid 250 for mine and it is like new, no box.

Only issue I had was the loctite on the screw for the grips. Dear Taurus, when loctite is applied to that screw it's impossible to remove it without destroying the grips. I finally got it out, but was not easy. The grips are neoprene and the female threaded insert is ripped loose, with no way to prevent it from turning.

They shoot okay, but they aren't good quality handguns. I owned one for a while, and my BiL has had one forever. Most of them have zamak frames. The safety is an abomination. The plastic handle on the ejector rod will break eventually. On the other hand, they will shoot about as well as the small sights allow.

I traded mine towards something else and waited until a finish-challenged Single Six showed up on Gunbroker and no one really wanted to bid on it. One bottle of Cold Blue later and I have a far superior SA 22 revolver with better sights that will last pretty much forever.

If you want a cheap 22lr SA revolver, the old Tanfoglios are always for sale on Gunbroker for about $100 used. (I got mine for less.) They still have the stupid safety, but are steel and better quality overall.
Frames are aluminum, not zamak.

I really like my Taurus 94 9 shooter. While it is double action, it's a rather impractical double action. The DA trigger pull is about 13 pounds. Or as I like to say, two men and a boy.
Research has indicated that the DA issue is not "fixable" by changing springs. It's a function of the size of the frame combined with the healthy whack that is required for rimfire ammo.

That said the single action pull is OK, and the little 9 shooter is accurate. It's all steel which is a substantial upgrade over the heritage single action.

I don't think the 94 is currently in production, used ones are out there. I paid 250 for mine and it is like new, no box.

Only issue I had was the loctite on the screw for the grips. Dear Taurus, when loctite is applied to that screw it's impossible to remove it without destroying the grips. I finally got it out, but was not easy. The grips are neoprene and the female threaded insert is ripped loose, with no way to prevent it from turning.
I've thought about non-SA .22 revolvers before and the list was narrowed down to Ruger 3 inch LCRx, Taurus 94, and Charter Arms. The Charter is capacity challenged at 6 rounds and I cannot accept any .22 revolver with just 6 rounds. Well built, decent triggers from what I hear, but I can't do it.

The Ruger and Taurus 94 are gonna run about $350-400 and the only two features they give me over a Heritage are a DA pull and the swing out cylinder. If after 9 rounds the threat hasn't been stopped, I have bigger problems than a .22 revolver can solve.

Being convertible to .22 Mag is cool too. After years of thinking, I've come to decide non Single Action .22 revolvers aren't for me.

I have owned at least four 9 shot 22s and the one thing I didn't like about them was the tiny ratchet on the back of the cylinder. Compared to something like the ratchet on a Ruger single six they don't look like they will last. And I have seen one ratchet on a 9 shot gun that looked pretty chewed up. So I will stick with the 6 shot guns.

Frames are aluminum, not zamak.

Model: RR22B4
Price: 194.97
UPC: 72796250020 0
Barrel Material: 1215 Steel
Bbl: 4.75
Caliber: 22 Long Rifle Only
Cylinder Capacity: 6 Rounds
Cylinders Material: 12L14 Steel
Finish: Blue
Frame Material: Aluminum Alloy
Grip: Cocobolo
Land and Grooves: 6
Land Width: .076 inch
Length of Rifling Twist: 1 Turn in 14 inches RH
Over all Length: 10.035 inches
Sights: Open fixed type; Notch at Rear
Style: LR CYL ONLY Fixed
Trigger Pull: Approximately 6 Pounds
Weight Unloaded: 33.4 ounces (Aprox)

[Aluminium alloys (or aluminum alloys; see spelling differences) are alloys in which aluminium (Al) is the predominant metal. The typical alloying elements are copper, magnesium, manganese, silicon, tin and zinc.

Zamak
Zamak (formerly trademarked as ZAMAK and also known as Zamac) is a family of alloys with a base metal of zinc and alloying elements of aluminium, magnesium, and copper. Zamak alloys are part of the zinc aluminium alloy family; they are distinguished from the other ZA alloys because of their constant 4% aluminium composition. /QUOTE]

I think they are hedging the numbers a bit when they use the tern aluminum "alloy". Aluminum frames do meet the requirements of melting point laws.

The lower priced rimfire Rough Riders are built on Zamak frames.
Heritage RR22B6 Rough Rider 6RD 22LR 6.5" Blued
Model
RR22B6 Condition
Factory New
Bud's Item #
87904 UPC
Manufacturer:
Heritage Manufacturing Quantity Remaining
10+
*This model does not meet requirements for melting point laws.

Ricklin said:
Mine improved tremendously with a Wolff spring kit.

Cheapshooter said:
I think they are hedging the numbers a bit when they use the tern aluminum "alloy". Aluminum frames do meet the requirements of melting point laws.
I don't disagree, but I don't discredit a gun if it will melt at 900 degrees. This is .22 we're talking here.

The lower priced rimfire Rough Riders are built on Zamak frames.
Yeah, but Heritage does make some with steel frames. I do wish they'd make the 9 shot models with steel frames.

I have shot my Rough Rider many rounds in the five years or so I have had it. It still shoots and looks new (thanks to the case hardened finish) with no signs of wear. I don't care what it is made out of since it clearly doesn't matter.

After owning the 6 shot for a while and being solid, I purchased the 9 shot. I am having an issue with it. The gate when loading does not line up and you need to kind of hold the cylinder in place for the 22 mag. For the 22lr is ok but the ejector rod needs to be lined up for both. I called the support line and was told that is normal and I think is because the frame is the same as the 6 shooter. But also found an issue with the 22lr cylinder not locking on 7 out of the 9 notches and need to be advanced about 1mm to lock. I regret getting it

https://ibb.co/Csm6N5S

https://ibb.co/x6mKLFW

Back