Heres a pretty good deal.

If the bikini girl in the ad also comes along with it for the same shipping cost, I say go for it. Not a bad deal really.

It would be right around BHN 11, if the alloy is what he claims.

But...
With shipping, that's $2/lb. :(

The last set of isotope cores I bought were $65, shipped. (31.8 lbs each - and a comparable alloy)
That's just a hair over $1/lb - shipped.

One of the local plumbing supply houses has lead chains (6 linked 5 lb 'solder pot' ingots) for $0.67/lb on commercial orders.
(yes, they're stupid - that's well below spot price :rolleyes:).

I recently picked up another 67 lbs of linotype, straight off the press, for $75. Again, that's the shipped price.

I just couldn't bring myself to pay $2/lb for an alloy, with no guarantee of its purity.

I know very well, that it's hard to get decent alloys in some parts of the country. -It's nearly impossible for me to get wheel weights locally, for example.- But, there are still plenty of other sources out there.

I try to keep an eye on local classifieds and the castboolits forums, and go from there.

Yup, would say 11 BHN as well . If it had just a skosh more antimony and a skosh less tin it would be clip on wheel weight duplicate at 12 BHN . Those clip ons that are useable are getting scarcer all of the time. If I were after this $2.00 a lb. to your door isnt that bad. Have to consider sorting, useable yield, smelting, fluxing, cost of propane to smelt and your time into the equation. If you needed to take it up to 12 bHN add a touch of hard shot to your melt and you will be good to go.

I get wheel weights for $10 a bucket for 5 gal bucket. I also throw in a 12 pack of beer with the money. They call me when the bucket is close to full without fail.

Not badmouthing any sellers here, but be very careful of lead or alloys bought off of E-bay. I have read on other forums of buyers getting burned with heavy zinc contamination, ie: the seller just melted everything down together. Good luck! GW :eek:

If it's from offshore, there's a good chance they smelted car batteries to get the lead...... probably by less than safe methods (big fire).......

Good point goatwhiskers.

If you gots to buy lead on fleabay, buy the actual wheel weights, not the already ingotted lead. Purely is certainly unknown, and anyone and everyone has jumped on the wagon to sell stuff in there. Might still get burned if some in batch are zinc, but at least you can pick 'em out yourself.

Back