Henry Youth 22 break down question.

KevK.

I bought my 9 year old son a used Henry Youth .22 lever action rifle for his upcoming birthday. No box or instructions just the rifle.

I've never owned a lever action, so I went to Henry and downloaded an owners manual for it. I've worked at a shooting range for a number years, but never really got hands on with a Lever action. The cleaning section of it is not very detailed, and I'm thinking surely there must be something else. I'd hate to miss something simple on it.

Does anyone else have any tips on something I should be looking for when cleaning it? Here's the cleaning section.:confused:

HOW TO CLEAN YOUR HENRY LEVER RIFLE
Make certain to clean your rifle after firing. We suggest that you purchase a current, name brand, top quality rifle cleaning kit. Make sure that the rifle is unloaded, and open the action. Using a cleaning rod with a lightly oiled patch, run the rod from the muzzle end of the barrel down toward the breech area, cleaning the chamber. Use a cleaning swab to remove all debris from the chamber as well as the face of the bolt and breach. It is important to make certain that there is no debris in the chamber or on the face of the bolt and breach. Alternatively you can purchase Otis Cleaning Kit, Dewey Cleaning Kit, or Hoppes Boresnake and clean from the chamber end to the muzzle. The balance of the bolt assembly and action are maintenance free.
IMPORTANT – PLEASE NOTE THAT IT IS NOT NECESSARY TO TAKE YOUR HENRY LEVER ACTION APART TO KEEP IT CLEAN. SHOULD YOU WISH TO TAKE IT APART, YOU MUST UNSCREW THE RECEIVER COVER TANG SCREW (PART #50) AND REMOVE THE BUTTSTOCK FIRST. THEN UNSCREW THE FOUR RECEIVER COVER SCREWS (PART #42) AND LIFT OFF THE RECEIVER COVER WHICH WILL EXPOSE THE INTERNAL PARTS.
IMPORTANT - DO NOT USE AGGRESSIVE SOLVENTS SUCH AS GUN SCRUBBER. USE ONLY MILD SOLVENTS SUCH AS BREAKFREE, KLEENBORE, OR HOPPES #9 OR A PREMIUM QUALITY GUN OIL.

Just be aware that, if your decide to remove the receiver cover to give the receiver & the internals a good cleaning (which I recommend as a multiple Henry owner), that while the bolt "may" stay with the receiver cover when it's lifted "off", it may also remain atop the internal receiver.

Either way, simply withdraw it from the cover, or lift it off the top of the receiver.
Don't forget to remove the inner mag tube prior to starting, and double-check for an empty chamber (I know, I know).

BTW, any of the 4 cover screws can be returned to any hole: AND if you'd like to add a saddle ring, the left/rear screw can be replaced directly with a post-64 Winchester 94 saddle ring (same threads/length).

DSCN0502.jpg

Last edited:
Yes! After you become accustomed to removing the stock, receiver cover and bolt for cleaning and maintenance, the removal and reassembly procedure takes about two minutes. There are just two screws to remove holding the stock to the tang and four screws with lockwashers holding the receiver cover. Having your stock off allows you to polish it carefully, too, without getting any stray polish on any metal parts.

I found this very informative also.
BTW, any of the 4 cover screws can be returned to any hole: AND if you'd like to add a saddle ring, the left/rear screw can be replaced directly with a post-64 Winchester 94 saddle ring (same threads/length).

I really like the saddle ring on a western looking lever gun, but I have a golden boy and am concerned that the addition of a saddle ring would mark up the brasslite receiver cover. Would this be true or is the receiver cover harder than it looks ?

Guess why the saddle ring hasn't made any marks on my Henry's receiver cover, in the almost 4 years since I installed it ?

ans: The leather tie/thong holds it away from the metal (doh). :p

Thanks for the input everyone.

The Woods Stock and foregrip all look in great shape.

The inner workings show some wear from use, but it doesn't look abused at all.

:)

The inner workings show some wear from use, but it doesn't look abused at all.

As long as you keep the rifle's innards lubricated then the only wear you should see is a little finish wear on contact surfaces. With a little care and maintenance, your Henry should last a long, long time.

put 50 rounds through it.

Well, I went to the local indoor range today. I had one of the staff take a look at it before I went out with a brick of .22lr.

Pretty dead on accurate. Probably deserves a better shooter than I. I forgot my prescript. safety glasses at home and had to use the plastic ones that cover my glasses. I hate that..I really do hate that. Makes the sites blurry as crap and hard to see.. (ok, that's my only real excuse). At 25yds, I was putting 10 rounds in a 3" group from a standing position (yeah, it wasn't good). stock felt short, but then again it is a 'youth' rifle.

Next time, I'm bringing my 'script safety glasses I should be putting 3" groups at 100 yards. lol

It was really a joy to shoot, and I look forward to handing it over to my son.

Back