Henry Single Shot 45-70 Strength

Shooter2675

Does anyone know what strength loads the Henry Single Shot 45-70 Blued steel model will handle?

In other words, how does it compare, strength-wise, to a Marlin or Ruger No1?

I have the Big Bore 1895SBL from Marlin. The only reason I didn't go with a Henry is because I didn't like the way it's loaded. I have always had side loaders so that is what I prefer. The Henry is a good rifle and will handle the same loads as the Marlin. Find yourself a comfortable cartridge to shoot and enjoy it.

Its definitely no Ruger1. I have been told by people I trust you can load 45-70#1 using 458 win mag data. (I am not brave/stupid enough to try it) The #1 is crazy strong.

Its definitely no Ruger1.
Yep.

And... Let me rephrase my previous response:

Consider it a Handi-Rifle.

Theoretically stronger than a Marlin lever gun, but still not something to be pushing very hard. Case in point: The .500 S&W Handi Rifles have a well-deserved reputation for battering themselves and getting loose, due to the recoil and pressure of the cartridge - even with standard loads (not even crazy-redneck-with-a-reloading-press loads).

It's not a Trap-Door. But it's no Ruger #1, either...

I load for a Sharps and an 1895 marlin, I do not believe it can handle the same loads as a Ruger#1. If I were you I would load it at the same capacity for the marlins1895, better yet just call Henry.

I,m not a brake open single shot fan, but the 45-70 does not have to be loaded hot to kill any animal in the USA. put that big bullet where it needs to go and the animal will die.

"Its definitely no Ruger1. I have been told by people I trust you can load 45-70#1 using 458 win mag data. (I am not brave/stupid enough to try it) The #1 is crazy strong."

Well the Ruger #1 in 45-70 can handle the same pressure lever as the #1 in .458 Win. Mag. but no way can you put a .458 Win. Mag powder charge in a 45-70 case and still have room to seat a bullet. If you want 458 Mag, power buy a 458 Win. Mag. and be done with it.

The late gun writer Ken Waters opined that one could use Ruger #1 45-70 load levels in the 1895 Marlin. They'll work bit they hurt on both ends and you'll have the lever slamming open on every shot. I respect Mr. Waters and his knowledge of handloading but based on personal experience, he's dead wrong. Oh? And when that lever snaps open it gives your knuckled one hell of a healthy rap.

I can't speak on the strength of the Henry. Hell, I've never even seen one. I can speak on the Ruger #1 and 1895 Marlin though as I had both at one time. Sold the Marlin and the #1 is part of a small collection of #1s that range from .22 Hornet to .416 Rigby.
Paul B.

Back