Henry Golden Boy ?

rebs

You guys that own one, how and what do you use to clean it ? Have you had any problem with getting Hoppe's #9 or other cleaners on the brass receiver ?
It says in the owners manual not to use anything on the brass receiver except a soft cloth, but what happens when you are cleaning the rifle if you accidentally get any cleaner on the brass ?
Also I want to buy a bore snake so I can clean the bore from the chamber end instead of pushing all the dirt into the action from the muzzle with a cleaning rod. Do you guys recommend any particular brand bore snake ?

Thank you for any help with this

The gun doesn't have a brass receiver.
What you see on the outside is a removable receiver & action cover made from another alloy (what they call Brasslite). The steel receiver's inside.

You can go over the cover briefly with a cleaning solvent, just use a soft cloth to avoid scratching.
Denis

I don't do anything special. In fact I rarely clean the bore and when I do I use a rod from the muzzle.

It says in the owners manual not to use anything on the brass receiver except a soft cloth, but what happens when you are cleaning the rifle if you accidentally get any cleaner on the brass ?

Nothing...just wipe it off with a soft cloth and treat it like any other rifle. I've had mine for well over a decade and haven't ever treated it with any more care than my other firearms. While it doesn't look quite "new", it isn't far off the mark. However, I must admit that I've never been too worried about the finish. I bought this rifle because I got a great deal on it and fully intended to shoot it a lot. So far it's held up remarkably well.

golden.jpg

I intend to shoot it and was just curious about getting any solvent on it like Hoppe's # 9 when I clean it.
Thank you for the replies.

I pull a snake through mine maybe once a year. I've dribbled a little No. 9 on the receiver cover and nothing happened.

On the off chance that something did "eat" the finish on the receiver cover, you can get a replacement from Henry for something like 40 bucks.

I pull a snake through mine maybe once a year. I've dribbled a little No. 9 on the receiver cover and nothing happened.

On the off chance that something did "eat" the finish on the receiver cover, you can get a replacement from Henry for something like 40 bucks.

Its good to know a replacement can be bought. I know they sell an engraved one with up to 20 words for 150.00

From what I can tell the color on the receiver cover goes all the way thru. It's not just a surface finish or a plate job.

From what I can tell the color on the receiver cover goes all the way thru. It's not just a surface finish or a plate job.

But doesn't it have some kind of clear coat on it ?

You know you can just call Henry & ask.... :)
Or email them, Imperato does a good job of answering emails.
Denis

Been doing some looking and one site says it's nickel plated and then sprayed with a yellow tinted clear coat but sure seems funny to me they would do the inside too if that was the case. The inside of mine is yellow but not shiny.

You know you can just call Henry & ask....
Or email them, Imperato does a good job of answering emails.
Denis

I did call them and all they said was not to get anything on it except a soft cloth, thew question I was asking here is if anyone has ever got any Hoppe's or other rifle cleaner on it by accident and what happened. Did it hurt the finish ?

They wouldn't tell you if it has a clear coat or answer any other questions about that cover?
Well, anyway, use Hoppes on it if you want.
I wiped all of the ones I worked with using Break Free, no problems. Wasn't by accident, it was deliberate. :)
Including the more expensive LE Tribute version.
Denis

The guy I talked to on the phone would only say, that all they recommend is wiping the receiver with a soft clean cloth no chemicals or cleaning agents. He said when storing it keep the supplied sock on the receiver. I asked if the supplied sock was silicone impregnated and he said he didn't know.

Mine has had Hoppe's, military bore cleaner and a host of other cleaners slathered over it. Sock? Oh yeah it did come with a sock. It's around here someplace, gun has never been in it.

Rebs,
Sounds like you talked to the wrong guy.
Deni

Thats what I think, he didn't seem to know too much or want to offer too much.

From the posts on here I think it is safe to accidentally get some Hoppe's on it as long as I wipe it off andf don't let it sit on it. I didn't think that finish could be that delicate to be on a rifle.

People have been using solvent to wipe down that receiver cover for some years now, I think you'll be OK doing it. :)
Denis

Back