henry big boy 357 vs marlin 1894 357

Gulfcowboy

I have began reloading 38/357 as of late. Really comes in handy right now with the ammo shortage. I have three 357/38 special revolvers as of now. I've decided I need a good lever gun in 357mag now. I've ruled out the rossi 92 due to the difficulty of break down. I don't want to get into a bidding war over a jm stamped marlin 1894. So ive narrowed it down to two a new model marlin 1894 or a henry big boy in 357mag. I have a a jm stamp 336 marlin and I love it. I don't know how bad their quality has dropped. I've heard nothing but good things about henrys customer service. I had also recently had a chance to handle a henry big boy, and seemed abit heavy to me. So what do you have, and prefer. Thanks for any input given

I find the Henry to be heavy and clunky, the Marlin is trim and works and points very well. Also consider a Uberti 1873, a very smooth and stylish rifle.

I have a Big Boy in .327 Federal Magnum. I love the weight and aesthetics of the gun, but even after a few hundred cycles the gun is an absolute chore to cycle. One day I will get off my butt and send it back to Henry to correct.

I have a Winchester '94 in .357 that is smooth as butter, much more fun to shoot. I'm sorry I can give no insight on the Marlin.

Have a model 36 S-C flat bolt 30-30. Its seen a lot of battling with brush and dropped a few deer. Heard tell nuisance Black Bear too. No matter the old slab side action is really smooth and shoots true with its original barrel sights.
If I were comparing two rifles of being the same simple action & caliber but different manufactures. Warranty policy would be a non concern. Reputation_ appearance_ shoulder fit_ & sight plane down barrel would make my mind up. Then again I'm kind'a partial to JM Marlins & Pre Winchesters. A brasser rifle above the fire place would grab ones eye. Especially a real >1866 model.

I've had a few 94 Marlins, they're good guns. The only Henry I have is a Golden Boy .22. If you like the looks of the Henry better than the Marlin and the weight isn't an issue get one. I would get the Marlin.

Thanks for the input fellas. I believe I'll go for a new marlin 1894. The big boy is beautiful, but too heavy at 8 pounds. My marlin 336 weights 7 pounds and its in 30/30.

Last edited:
Howdy

No contest with me.

I would not dream of owning a Big Boy. Heavy, ugly, and not as smooth as a Marlin.

Although most of my lever guns are Winchesters, I have a few Marlins too.

This 44-40 Model 1894 left the factory in 1895. No blue left, and quite a bit of pitting on the metal, but it still shoots true.

pnWy49U9j

I found this octagon barrel 38-40 Model 1889 in the local Cabelas last year. It still needs a bit of work, but I was quite pleased with how it shoots.

pm52duXQj

I bought this 357 Magnum 1894CS Carbine and 22 LR Model 39A used about 20 years ago. The 1894CS is quite a nice little rifle. I bought it for my wife when she was shooting Cowboy with me. Nice and light and handy, she was shooting lightly loaded 38 Specials in it. It delivers quite a punch with factory 357 Magnum ammo. The 39A is a real nice little 22, it is old enough that it has Ballard rifling, not microgroove.

plr2f0rQj

Last year a friend bought a new Model 1894CB chambered for 45 Colt. He had it at the range one day and I had a chance to take a good look at it as well as shoot it a bit. Not my photos, my friend sent me these photos. I must say I could find nothing wrong with it. The wood to metal fit was just as good as with my older Marlins. The action was a little bit stiff, but that's because I'm used to lever guns that have been tuned a bit a bit, or worn in for a century or so.

poGkOh5Yj

pmQ6saUzj

Last edited:
Back