Helping Victims Help Needed

Drew

The other night my neighbor behind us started to abuse his wife(?). My girlfriend called 911 while I got my pants on and my pistol. The 911 operator said the police were already on their way. While I was preparing, a question popped into my head...what was I going to do when I get over there?

I didn't have an answer and I had a million scenarios running through my mind at once. When I went around the corner, the police were already there. But I still don't know what a good basic plan of attack would be if this were to happen again.

Can you break into someone's house to help a victim? Also, does the 911 operator tell the arriving police that an armed neighbor is there to help? I didn't want the police to show up and think I was the bad guy and take action against me. What would be a good basic plan if this did happen again?

Thanks in advance.

In these days of specious law suits trigger happy cops and the current anti-gun/gunphobic atmospere, I choose to use my weapon to defend me and mine. If someone else is in trouble, I'll dial 911, but i will not interfere physically.
First, if I shot the BG and the Victim desides that he wasn't really a threat or she suddenly loves him again, I'm going to jail.
Second, If I put myself in harms way for someone else and get hurt, who pays for my medical attention? Me, thats's who. I am no cop with a good health plan and first priority at the ER.
Third, Why should I risk my life, health and freedom to help someone who lived the grasshopper's life and refused to take responsibility for their own safety?

Thank you very much, but I will heed the warning on my CCW paperwork. to wit: "you are not a policeman"

Gotta second that, Drew.

Unless she's screaming "he's got a knife" or "stop, please don't kill me," I'm nowhere near a mess like that.

My .02

------------------
"Put a rifle in the hands of a Subject, and he immediately becomes a Citizen." -- Jeff Cooper

I would probably stay out of any kind of domestic quarrel. If I saw some guy kick in my neighbors door, or an attempted rape, I would get involved, but jumping into a violent domestic situation is a good way to get yourself killed. I would call 911.

Example about domestic abuse, a friend of mine was riding his bike down a street in Birmingham one day, he saw this big guy slapping the hell out of this lady. My friend ran over and grabbed the big dude and face planted him into the pavement, he looked up to ask the woman if she was okay, and then she attacked my friend, screaming "get away from my husband, don't hurt him!" My friend left, with her still trying to claw his eyes out.

If I remember correctly domestic disturbance calls are one of the most likey calls to involve injury to a police officer. Just my opinion, but I would just call the profesionals for this.

Back