help with win model 1907

Eazmo

My dad gave me an winchester model 1907
It was his dad's but he doesn't know the history of the gun.

serial numbers shows manufactured in 1921. The rifle is complete, but cambered in .351win which is obsolete

The receiver is pretty brown but the barrel still has decent bluing. wood looks original but forearm has hairline cracks running both sides of the barrel

Is this thing worth anything???????

Can it be re cambered to something more common and just shoot it?????

If i cant have it as a shooter does anyone buy these things????

DO NOT SELL IT. You will hate yourself later. I'm sure brass can be made from...something. Then you can shoot it. You can even use it as a deer rifle if you are hunting thick woods from a stand or jump shooting whitetails up close. It's not a real potent number, and was popular as a guards gun in prisons in the early 1900's.

.351 ammo is fairly easily made from .357 Magnum cases by trimming the rims to .410" and cutting extractor grooves. Those cases will be a bit short; if you want full length, use .357 Maximum brass and trim, though that brass is often hard to get now.

Jim

Nope, not worth anything. You can just send it to me c/o this forum.
All kidding aside, I saw .351 Winchester Self Loader ammunition listed on the Old Western Scrounger website.

The ammo's aenemic, for anything except shooting humans - IIRC the guns were used by Prison Guards, etc.

I agree on the ammo, but quite a few were used in their time for deer hunting. Not much worse than hunting with lever actions in .32-20 or .38-40.

All those rifles were underpowered by today's standards, yet the old timers brought home a lot of venison. And of course, they were an early semi-auto with the magic Winchester name. The Remington Model 8 was both better and chambered for more powerful rounds, but it never got the "respect" it deserved.

Jim

[the old timers brought home a lot of venison.]

Yep - The deer back then weren't as eddikated as today's are, by bumblers grunting them every which way but dead, AND they didn't have to worry about the deer running onto posted land or over the hill where one of the hundred-or-so other hunters in the area would be only too glad to tag/drag.

Ah, well - enough nostalgia, for one day.................... :p

And people have gotten a lot tougher. At one time, a .32 S&W revolver was considered quite sufficient for personal defense or even for police use. But today, crooks have hides three times as thick as that on an old bull elephant, so folks have to carry at least a .500 S&W for protection against even a teenage street thug. Amazing, just amazing!!

Jim

Isn't everything banned in CA and MA? People's Democratic Republics don't like armed citizens.

FWIW, cracked foreends are quite common on that whole Winchester series. The forward part of the bolt is a heavy weight that fits into the foreend. It is so massive that the foreend had to be made a hollow shell so thin that it can be cracked just by squeezing it in the hand.

I have seen those fixed using steel mesh in epoxy, but never did it myself.

Jim

I have one that is 94+%. Had it a few shows asking $800.00. some tire kickers, but that's all. There are one neat gun, though. Is the cocking piece on yours have kind of a "finger hook" on it or just a flat type button? The finger hook is a little rarer. Coogs.

And people have gotten a lot tougher. At one time, a .32 S&W revolver was considered quite sufficient for personal defense or even for police use. But today, crooks have hides three times as thick as that on an old bull elephant, so folks have to carry at least a .500 S&W for protection against even a teenage street thug. Amazing, just amazing!!

I figure the difference is that when the .32 was popular, if you tagged a crook in the torso, he might get away from the scene but to die slowly of peritonitis.
Nowadays if you don't nail him DRT, he will get surgery and antibiotics courtesy of the taxpayers.
And in both eras, the criminals were aware of that, and were or were not deterred.

Is the cocking piece on yours have kind of a "finger hook" on it or just a flat type button? The finger hook is a little rarer. Coogs.

Mine just has the flat button.

cleaned it this week end with some bore tech cleaner and holly crap i bet i had 50 patches dark blue from all the copper in there but the rifle ling looks fantastic.

Were can i find more info on making reloads out of 357 cases?
bullets?
powders?
dies?
Load data?

Last edited:
Back