Help with Springfield 1894

deserttanker

Inactive
Need help identifying what type rifle I just purchased. It's a Springfield 1894 with a low 15000 range serial number, 24 inch barrel but no front sight or post which leads me to believe it was most likely shortened from a full length 30 inch barrel infantry rifle. The barrel crowning is first rate so I don't think someone cut it down with a hacksaw in their basement.

I cannot find any information about 1894s being modified as carbine or constabulary rifles. Everything I found so far indicates aside from a few factory prototypes the remaining production run was full size infantry rifles.

Any expert opinions on whether this could be a modified rifle or just a cut down sporter?

but no front sight or post

Sawn off rifle.
Sounds like Bubba did not finish the job.

Lots of NRA Carbines out there. When NRA was selling obsolete Krags cheap, the demand was high for carbines which were handy for hunting. So NRA got Benicia Arsenal to convert rifles to carbine configuration. They are recognizable by the 1903 barrel band front sight on the barrel as shortened to 22".
Benicia used real carbine stocks.
There are also a lot of gunsmith conversions with the stock shortened and the cleaning rod hole plugged.

The barrel is 24 inches, there isn't any trace of a front sight or cuts for a base or pins. I bought it as just a receiver/barrel combination so I don't have a stock to add any information. If NRA carbines were 22 inches with 1903 sights then that doesn't line up with what I have. I think you are correct with the gunsmith conversion which someone the used as a hunting rifle. The 24 inch barrel and crowning points that way, to me at least. I never saw a bubba conversion with nice crowning of the barrel.

Does anyone know the years of NRA conversions? Were 1892s, 1896s and 1898s all converted?

Last edited:
Is it drilled and tapped for a scope mount?
If not, how are you going to use a rifle without sight?

I don't know which models they used, likely all. Wiki says it was largely done to keep skilled help busy.
A post on the CMP board says the NRA carbines had 1903 front sights, 1901 rear sights, and 1899 carbine stocks. The rear sights and stocks were long obsolete by 1926, they were probably glad to get rid of them.

The holes for the rear sight on the barrel have been filled - I have a spare 30 inch barrel with front sight so it should just be a matter of a barrel swap to get back to original configuration. After that it's just a matter of shopping for correct parts and putting it all together.

Check rear sight {if original| should be marked "C" or "R" for either the Rifle or Carbine.

Post a picture or two . helps also.

Back