Help with scope choice for Ruger #1

Nathan

I have to gather some opinions here. I'm looking to scope a Ruger #1 in 45-70. I would like:
- min mag 1.5-2.5 MAX
- max mag 7x MIN
- BDC reticle...no twisting turrets to shoot
- lightweight <18 oz
- small form factor
- reliable turrets....easy to sight in

Basically, I want to be set at 1-2x and walk in to position. If a deer steps out, I want to point and shoot quick out to 50 yds or so.

When I get to my spot, I would crank to 8x expecting shots 75-200 yards. Once I start shooting this thing, 150 might be max. I do expect to use the BDC to get to 150.

Then for range fun, I would like to use the BDC go fun to ring a 10" 300 yd gong.

If I were to buy today, it would be a Vortex Diamondback HP 2-8x or a Burris FF E1 2-7x. I suppose the Nikon Monarch 3 2-8x is in the running too. I have looked through the Burris and like it, but on paper, the Vortex looks like a better scope.

Your thoughts. Am I missing another quality optic,

You shouldn't need a bdc to get to 150. Depending on mv and bc, you could get a mpbr of at least 175.
The Diamondback hp has side focus. That seems like an unnecessary complication on a scope like this.
The reticle on the e1 looks like it would be hard to see quickly in hunting situations.
Burris FFII and droptine, Vortex diamondback, Nikon monarch all meet the description.
I'd look at the Japanese-made Weaver grand slam and Bushnell elite.

I could be way off, but I think you "COULD" opt for the Nikon P-300BLK 2x7 SUB.

if only planning on keeping within 200 yards, similar trajectory to .300BLK sub-sonic, so the BDC should be pretty close, but it's totally dependent on the ammo you generally use. some of the 45-70 ammo's match the trajectory to 200 yards dead on around a 10in drop with a 100 zero, as with a 200gr BLK. some are totally different, unfortunately there is such a huge variety o weights I the 45-70, finding a BDC that's going to be perfect could be difficult. but 300blk sub scopes would be a good place to start looking. just check out the trajectory charts of (your) usual 45-70 hunting ammo with the trajectory charts of the standard 200-220 BLK's

When I get to my spot, I would crank to 8x expecting shots 75-200 yards.
I keep variable scopes set on the lowest power while hunting.
If your target appears at close range, you're ready.

If they are so far away you want more magnification, it's easier to turn it up without being detected

I also agree you won't need any BDC out to 150

Just sight in for "MPBR" (Maximum Point Blank Range)
http://www.chuckhawks.com/rifle_trajectory_table.htm

Well, I bought the Vortex Diamondback HP 2-8x.....it will be great to compare to my Nikon Monarch 3 2-8x.

Back