Help with Ruger MKII ejection problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

BR549

Inactive
Have a new Ruger MKII bull barrel that is jamming with anything more than 5 rounds in the magazine. This is the 3rd MKII I've had, and the first to be any problem at all. The fired brass doesn't eject and gets stuck behind/above the newly fed round. Could this be from the new magazine spring force?? Just a question of breaking in that new mag? Any thoughts, or suggestions. I've tried different ammo, with no relief. Your help/suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

If the brass isn't ejecting you could have a weak extractor.. or the gun could be OVERLUBRICATED. My rugers like to run nearly bone dry.. the only feed problems I've ever had were due to using gunslick grease, the action cycles too fast and the extractor never engages. Led to some really strange extractionm/feed/jamming problems.

I'd clean it thoroughly, and use a dental pick to clean the extractor cut-out on the right side of the breech face (make sure there is no 'junk" stuck in there), and then check the tension on the extractor. It should be moveable but stiff.. if the spring feels "weak" have your gunsmith check it out.

Dr.Rob

Please tell me what is the model of this
Ruger MK II. Is this Ruger MK-4B with
4 inch barrel? If it is, I know how to fix it, I had similar problems with this model.

Oris - no - its the Ruger with the 5 1/2" barrel - I believe the model is KMK512. It's the bull barrel model, not a 22/45. However, what was your solution? The gun is not too oily - I learned that one with an earlier Ruger I owned. The extractor claw "looks" OK. Tried 2 other brands of ammo today to no avail. I tried the gun with a friends older, used magazine and had 1 failure in 30 rounds - a BIG improvement. With the new mags it's failing to eject twice per magazine full. I actually got 2 magazines to go through without a failure with his older magazine. Thought I had it until the 3rd mag full had a failure - seems to almost always be on the second and fifth round. Didn't have any measuring tools with me, but in holding the two magazines together at various angles the only difference I can see is that my follower doesn't extend above the mag as much as his does when empty. ????? Weird. Think I'll call Ruger in the morning.

It's probably not a solution you can use,
but when I got my second Ruger MK-4B,
it also bothered me with the same problem...
I did lap the chamber, which seemed a bit
rough. But real breakthough happened when
I weakened RECOIL spring by cutting 6 coils
from it. Gun started working normally.
You see, for shorter barrel of blowback
operated pistol you might need to use
a bit weaker spring than for the pistol
with the longer barrel.

Anyway, I think you better call Ruger.
I know that 5 1/2 and 6 7/8 inch barrel
pistols work pretty good with standard
recoil spring, so, it's not a way to