Help with Remington 700 purchase

Muscrat

I am in the market to buy a Remington 700 varmint or tactical. I would prefer the tactical since the barrel is 6" shorter which makes it lighter. I plan on doing some target shooting upwards of 500 yds maybe 600 at the most.

I have been doing some research on ballistics and the .308 if zeroed at 100 shoots around 55" low at 500. Is that correct?

Which gun would be sufficient for what I described?

I prefer the 22-250 but they don't make that cal in the tactical version!

The ballistics depend on your load. But 11 moa drop seems about right for most loads.

Any model with a 20 inch barrel or longer. Lot of guys like the SPR for a starter rifle.

Jimro

What is SPR?

I've been shooting lots of years but have never worried about longe range shooting or precise accuracy until now. I let my kids kill the deer!lol

I want to be the only guy at camp hit a silhouette out at 500 yds!

SPR = Special Purpose Rifle, but a quick glance at Remington's sight they call it the "SPS" now "Special Purpose rifle Synthetic".

But if you want to hunt with it, then get the VTR http://www.snipercentral.com/vtr.htm

The triangle barrel cuts weight and the compensator cuts near the muzzle help tame recoil.

Jimro

I very much dislike compensators on hunting rifles, due to noise. I'd have to cut it off and re-crown. Otherwise, it's a nice rifle.

Back