• Anything ‘published’ on the web is viewed as intellectual property and, regardless of whether it displays a copyright symbol or not, is therefore copyrighted by the originator. The only exception to this is if there is a “free and unrestricted reuse” statement associated with the work.

In order to protect our members and TFL from possible litigation, all members must abide by the following new rules:

1. Copying and pasting entire articles from another site to TFL is strictly prohibited. The same applies to articles from print or other media, and to posting photographs taken of copyrighted pages or other media.

2. Copyright law provides for “fair use” of portions of a copyrighted work. You can copy no more than a SINGLE paragraph from the article to your post (3 or 4 sentences at most).

3. You must provide a link to the article along with the name of website. For example: ww.xxx.yyy/zzz (The Lower Thumbsuck Daily News).

4. You must provide, in your own words, a brief summary of the article AND your reasons for believing it will be of interest to TFL members. Failure to do so may result in the thread being closed or your post being deleted as a “cut and paste drive by.”

5. Photographs and other images are also copyrighted. "Hotlinking" of images (so that it appears in your message) from other sites is also prohibited unless you own rights to the image. If you wish to share an image, provide a clickable link to it.

Posts that do not follow these new guidelines will be altered or deleted by staff. Members who continue to violate this policy may lose their posting privileges at TFL.

Thank you for your cooperation and your participation in TFL, the leading online forum for firearms enthusiasts.

Help with Preferences please

JJR

I'm not quite sure what I'm doing wrong. I can't get my preferences to "stick." I need to set them every time I visit TFL. Now, it does remember my name and password, but it does not remember the "show topics last xx days" part nor does it do the targets vs. bullet holes thing (unless I reset it every time I visit.

I'm using Internet Explorer and Windows 98 (not my fault, I swear) and I have my browser set to accept cookies.

Does any of this make sense? Thanks in advance for any help.

JJR-
Spark may be able to provide more info than I. However, I suggest that you go into "preferences" and use the poption that deletes all cookie refernces to TFL.

Reboot.

Resubmit your prefs.

Report back on how it went.
Rich

[This message has been edited by Rich Lucibella (edited August 16, 1999).]

Click on the preferences link, delete your cookies, leave TFL and go to another site, shut down your browser, restart, and return to TFL.

If that doesn't work, delete your cookies again, leave TFL and go to another site. Shut down your browser. Do a search on your PC for cookies.txt and delete every instance. Shut down your PC. Reboot, and come back to TFL, and reset your preferences.

Spark

------------------
Kevin Jon Schlossberg
SysOp and Administrator for BladeForums.com
www.bladeforums.com

Thanks guys. I tried the suggestions above but to no avail. It's strange.

Say I'm on the main page and it shows all "bullet holes," then I go to another site. If I hit "back", I will return to the TFL site with the bullet holes (or a few targets if something has changed). However, if I go from another site to TFL via my "favorites", I will get to the main page with all targets as if I've never visited before (and they never change to bullet holes unless I set my preferences again). This is what happens when I first log on so I need to reset my preferences every computer session.

I do not have this problem with AR15.com which I understand uses the same software. I dunno. Not a big deal, just a minor nuisance. Thanks again.

:) Ahhh!

I've been entering through a bookmark direct to the forums main page. If I come in through the main TFL page everything is just dandy!

Thanks!

Amazing how that works.

That's why we prefer that people don't bookmark the forums pages, to prevent that sort of thing, and it screws up the stats programs.

You never know when the forums may move as well, leavin you SOL if you bookmarked them instead of the front page.

I could alter the forums cgi files so that you were cookied on the front page of the site, and if you hadn't come through it, you don't get to read them, but that's just a bit to Clintonesque for me.

Spark

------------------
Kevin Jon Schlossberg
SysOp and Administrator for BladeForums.com
www.bladeforums.com

Spark,

Thank You! I've been having this same problem for a couple of months,and attempts to figure out what was wrong didn't pan out. I,too,was bookmarked directly to the forums. At one time,that wasn't a problem,but after TFL moved,I began to have troubles. Coming in through the front door solved my difficulties.

Thanks again,

Bill

Back