Help with pistol

RPM

I bought a 1858 Remington blackpowder .44 replica a little while ago, and the damn thing failed right out of the box. I take it out, wipe it down with a rag, and cock the hammer. As I'm cocking it, there's a noise like metal grinding against metal, and the hammer locks back. Trouble is, the trigger won't release the hammer. It's stuck in the cocked position. Anyone on this board know anything about these pistols?

Hope you bought it with a credit card so you can dispute the charge. American express will buy back most items under $300 if the store won't. had the same problem with an early Commander but the dealer exchanged it for another new Colt. Wish you good luck.

There is not much inside to go wrong, it sounds like someone did not clean up the rough spots inside. They are similar to the colt single action as far as the interior parts. The book Black Powder Hobby Gunsmithing, has instructions on disassembly and tuning. If you can't get it exchanged let me know and I will tell you what I know about how to take it apart.

Jim

take it back from where you bought it from and see what they have to say. Some gunshops are really good about repairing defective guns to keep up good customer goodwill...

Back