Help with old guns in family photo.

LotsOf.45s

Inactive
This is an old family photo, roughly dated around 1930 to 1940. I would like some help on identifying these two guns. Any opinions or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Attachments

• 47.jpg
    47.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 377
Last edited:
The guns pictured appear to be .22 rifles. The one on the left looks like a semi-auto and the one on the right a bolt action with a tubular magazine. Details are a bit blurred although I might recognize the models if I were personally familiar with them.
The white lightnin' I recognized right off!

Looking at the deep finger groove in the forearm, the gun on the right could be a model 34 Winchester. They were made from 1934 to 1936 or 37. I'm looking at the one in my safe now but there is not enough detail in your pic. to be certain.

I am inclined to think that the gun on the viewer's right is a "sporterized" M1917 Enfield. That shiny cocking piece and trigger shape lead me in that direction, but the picture is not clear enough to be sure.

I am not familiar with the Winchester Model 34.

Jim

I have a cut down 1917 Enfield. The gun on the right in the pic is quite different. I also think it's a .22, possibly a Savage with a tubular magazine.

Beats me, but small caliber stuff, not a 1917.

Are they guarding and advertising their "merchandise" at five gallons per acre?

There is no definitive answer...

I at first thought the gun on the right to be a winchester 72 but now I don't think so. There were countless guns which have the same profile and characteristics as those in the pic. We would need more pics to do anything more than guess.

Thanks for the help guys. Sorry for the fuzzy photo, no digital cameras in the30's and 40's.

P.S. The man on the left was my great grandpa, born 1901, died 1968. And yes, he had a shine still.:D

Back