Help with my over thinking revolver decision!

Nathan

I’m not new to revolver’s or even big revolvers or even deer hunting with revolvers.

That said, I harvested a nice 4x4 mule deer about 32 years ago with my dad’s 10.5” 44 magnum. That said, we were total newbies. He bought that and we went to the range. Shot a few close 25 yd targets and then tried our hand at 100 yds. This of course drove a scope & mount purchase! We actually got pretty good hitting typing paper at 100 yds. I mean if you expect rifle performance from yourself and your handgun, you eventually just figure it out!

After that, i bought a 5.5” Bisley Blackhawk 45 Colt. I loaded it pretty hot and had a blast getting decent out to 50 yds, but Ohio deer never came out when I was carrying it. Actually OH deer hunting has been mostly a disaster for me.

So, 32 yrs later, I hunt in Montana. There are getting to be a few more predators. Mountain Lions and Grizzly bears where I hunt…..well, a Grizzly would be pretty rare.

I shot my deer this year at 30 yards. I don’t think I can count on that, but if I see another deer under 50 yards, I’d like to be able to take with a revolver.

So, I’m thinking I’d like to trade or sell/buy for a S&W 44 mag. That leaves me looking at the 629 or 69. What should I be looking for? I reload, so hotness of load is tunable somewhat for recoil. I’m thinking whichever would get the reflex sight treatment….Holosun most likely.

Just for fun, I’ll mention the trade bait. I have a S&W 547 round butt that is so cool, but never really drives me to get it out of the safe. …..or I have a S&W M&P2.0 40S&W FDE or a Ruger GP100 I could probably be talked out of….the 547 is the most likely.

So, what advice do you all have? I need a lot of advice!

The 547 should bring the most in a sale to put towards your 44 mag, especially if it is the 3" version. For hunting, any long barrel 44 or 45 with a scope should do the job, especially since you mentioned that you handload. As to sites, I guess it depends on what you feel more comfortable with - I preferred a scope on my XP-100 in 7mmBR for shots at 100+ yards

If you must have a 44 mag try another Blackhawk. You could do a Redhawk or S&W if you want a DA. Those would be my choice minus the Redhawk.

The 547 should bring the most in a sale to put towards your 44 mag, especially if it is the 3" version.

It is. I’m struggling a bit mentally with selling it, but I’m not really a fan of the 9mm like I am of real revolver cartridges.

If you must have a 44 mag try another Blackhawk. You could do a Redhawk or S&W if you want a DA. Those would be my choice minus the Redhawk.

If I go that route, I’d just go back to the 45 Colt. I really want a double action with a Holosun on top. I’d put the optic on a 357 mag, but that is getting weak and I think I need to drill & tap.

Redhawk is cool, but heavy and triggers can be a bit rough.

I’m thinking a 5” 629 with a built in comp would be ideal. Not sure they made that.

Nobody can make your decision but the 629 pre lock guns are better than the Redhawk but the super Redhawk is a pretty rugged gun. My redhawk was fickle and liked to light strike. I sold it and got a used 629-1. Very nice revolver. I just need to find better grips. If you want a lot of power, consider a 454 Casull. You can down load it to hot 45 colt without any strength concerns. There are also 5 shot Blackhawk Bisleys out there in 454 Casull with 6.5 inch barrels. Taurus also makes the Raging bull 454.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_oryBPkMCM

Since you’re a handloader and have mentioned recoil management, you might consider a .41magnum as well. When my eyesight was still good and my hands much steadier I could routinely hit paper plates about 75% of the time shooting offhand at 100yds with my 6” Model 57. Plenty of juice for shooting deer and defense from big scary critters would be more than sufficient.

Taurus Raging Hunter in 44 Mag. They are making them very well right now and they are optics ready. Check out some YouTube vids on them.

Aren't the 69's 5 shot L frame models?

Yes. Pretty light. I think I want a 5-6.5”. I checked them out some at Cabelas. Trouble is you cannot cycle the actions at all. Friggin’ idiots!

Weight wise, the 69 just seemed too light.

Taurus Raging Hunter in 44 Mag. They are making them very well right now and they are optics ready. Check out some YouTube vids on them.

I’m listening…sell me on these. Other than price, why would I pick this over S&W or Ruger?

BTW, the Cabelas salesman tried to sell me on the Ruger Alaskan in 44 mag….how does it compare. My immediate thoughts are kind of dismissive, but….I’m open minded.

I’m listening…sell me on these. Other than price, why would I pick this over S&W or Ruger?

BTW, the Cabelas salesman tried to sell me on the Ruger Alaskan in 44 mag….how does it compare. My immediate thoughts are kind of dismissive, but….I’m open minded.
I have 2 Model 29’s, pre safety lock, that I love. Own one Ruger Super Blackhawk, but have owned several. Bought a Raging Bull 44 Mag, 8 inch, when they first came out. I have a 1.5 power scope on it. Very heavy duty for a 44 Mag, considering the same gun comes in 454 Casull. Has two cylinder latches, front and rear. Since the Hunter has come out I’m considering trading the Bull for one. The .357 Hunter is the most accurate 357 handgun John Taffin has ever tested. The Raging Bull has an all steel barrel, whereas the Hunter has an aluminum sleeve over a steel barrel, ala Dan Wesson, saving some weight. Mine has an excellent single action trigger, I don’t shoot DA very often, but it is smooth. Any action job type mods are identical to S&W and spring kits are readily available. I had to ad a rail the Raging Bull, but the Hunter comes with an integral rail, ready for rings and scope.

You do You your way.

You can deck out one handed artillery pieces any way you want.

When I think "handgun" your 45 Colt Bisley would be at the top of My list.

Its a sidearm,a holster gun. A companion. Ruger level 45 Colt loads will do anything you need to do.

Ross Seifried was a fan. He took a SBH 45 Colt Bisley to Africa and hunted Cape Buffalo with it. He did not mount optics.

But,you do you.

You do You your way.

You can deck out one handed artillery pieces any way you want.

When I think "handgun" your 45 Colt Bisley would be at the top of My list.

Its a sidearm,a holster gun. A companion. Ruger level 45 Colt loads will do anything you need to do.

Ross Seifried was a fan. He took a SBH 45 Colt Bisley to Africa and hunted Cape Buffalo with it. He did not mount optics.

But,you do you.

Pretty strong feedback! That is kind of my problem I could just use the SBH or maybe my GP100. Both are great guns.

Because of my recent experience adding a reflex site to a semi, I think I’d like to try it on a revolver. This is how I’ve come to the choice of 69 or 629…..but there are so many other ways to go, I’m getting paralysis by analysis!

I haven’t even considered which sight yet!

454 Casull Super Redhawk would be my vote. Shoot your light 45s or full house 454s. I like my Smiths, but if I had to pick a favorite revolver, it would be my SRH.

Well, I bid on a 629 5”…..I think that is where I’m headed…..what red dot should I mount? What can handle a 44 mag?

5" is a good compromise barrel length if you want to carry the gun in a holster. You might want to look at the current crop of micro dot red dot sights to keep things small for carry.

Thanks RC. I like the micro that i have on another pistol, but I’m concerned a bit about durability and a good soaking since this gun will be more in the elements.

What is the next size larger called?

rmr

The top shelf is the Trijicon RMR type2 rm06. Pricey.
I do not own one. It is overkill for my purposes. A range buddy has one. ike other sights from Trijicon, it is very well made and will do everything you asked for.

Very, very well reviewed and $150 LESS than the RMR is the Holosun 507C. waterproof and a 20,000 hour battery life. if I were to buy another red dot, this is what I would get.

Back