Help with my Enfield

No4Mk1*

I am new to shooting and have not shot my No4Mk1* yet. I measured the rim thickness of a shell and it is 0.060" I can barely chamber a shell with 3 layers of electrical tape on the back of the shell for a thickness of about 0.080". I am pretty sure that is too much headspace. My bolt face is a #0. I would like to get a #3 bolt face, but I have no idea where to find one. What should I do? Is there a way for a gunsmith to fix this without the longer bolt face? I have not fired the rifle yet.

Also- The barrel does not seem to be fixed to the stock at the muzzle end. I can wiggle it back and forth about 3mm. Is that just free floating? Or should I worry?

Thanks. I live in GA if that matters.

[This message has been edited by No4Mk1* (edited March 08, 2000).]

The Brits made these chambers oversize intentionally to aid in chambering under battlefield conditions. Go shoot it as is. You may find the brass is more stretched out diameter wise than you are used to seeing from sporting rifles, which cannot be corrected by tightning rim headspace. again this is a gun designed to function in a foxhole, not a precision arm.

I got a no.3 bolt face from Sarco a year or so back.If memory serves I think they sold out soon after on no.3 but they still had 1&2 phone no. is 908-647-3800 they also have a web page but darned if I can find it. Good luck.

No4Mk1*: Mudman is correct, the shoulder area on the .303Brit Enfield is...ah, "generous". You will get the shoulders on the cases blowing out forward. Another problem I've heard about is called "craze cracking" which is errosion and other damage in the barrel just forward of the chamber. See the NRA booklet "British Enfield Rifles". You mention that you don't reload, but if you did, by neck sizing only the cases you can increase case life and also add a bit to the accuracy. I've got a couple of No.4s and love these big ol things. Have fun. ooops, when I said "blowing out forward" I don't mean blowing up, just that the cases expand more than usual...ok?

[This message has been edited by nwgunman (edited March 11, 2000).]

Back