help with Model 94 Winchester Lever action

dan429

Inactive
Serial Number MX 661
44-40 caliber
I would like to know when it was built, and what other information/photos might be necessary to establish a value for it.

Thanks for any and all help,

Dan

Attachments

• mx661.jpg
    mx661.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 161
  • 44 40.jpg
    44 40.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 149
  • 1894.jpg
    1894.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 148
That wouldn't be a Model 1894 in .44-40.

That would either be a Model 1873 or a Model 1892, which looks a lot like a Model 1894.

The 1884 patent date makes it a 92 but the serial number makes no sense. Winchester didn't use prefixes in 92's and if the number itself was legit it would have been made in 1892. It would not have been marked 44-40 but rather 44 WCF and the barrel would not be marked proof steel. IMO somebody removed the original serial number and replaced it. 92 Winchesters were made up until 1945.

Thanks for the replies. The barrel does look much newer than the rest of the gun. Here are some more photos.
Is it possible the MX stands for Mexico, maybe for export?

Attachments

• wholewinch.jpg
    wholewinch.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 140
  • saddle ring.jpg
    saddle ring.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 133
  • right side.jpg
    right side.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 135
It is a 92, you can see the locking lugs at the top of the receiver but the numbers are wrong and the barrel probably was replaced.

Obviously has had the serial re-stamped with non Winchester assigned number. Look under the hand guard under the barrel (remove loading tube) and you should find date barrel was made.

Old thread, but I thought I might add some information that I came across while researching the "MX" serial number prefix for myself.

A local Winchester collector says the "MX" prefix indicates a new serial number being assigned to a rifle by Winchester, if the original serial number was unreadable when the rifle came in for rebarreling or extensive repair. Winchester would remove the original serial number, assign it a new number, and add the MX prefix.

This, apparently, was only used for rifles getting rebarreled, and/or receiving substantial repair and refinishing work. And the serial number had to be unreadable upon arrival.

So, it's a no-go from a collector's standpoint, but not really a detractor for the average gun lover.

....Hope that helps someone.

Back