Help with Model 66

Clemson

I posted this on the S&W Forum, but it is acting up, so I'm reposting here...........

I just acquired my second 3" Barrel Model 66. I hope someone can give me some information on when it was made and possibly the circumstances. The gun is a Model 66-4 with a serial number of CAA59XX. This one is in used but pristine condition.

For what it's worth, my other 3" was made in a special run for RSR. It is a 66-5 with the lazer etched numbers, MIM trigger and hammer, and frame mounted firing pin. The one I just picked up has the hammer nose firing pin, Hammer and trigger appear case colored, and it is obviously from a previous generation.

The 3" barrel on these guns balances so well for me that I shoot them as well as my 4" guns. They are MUCH easier to carry concealed, and the extra 1/2 inch makes the guns more accurate for me than the 2 1/2 inch guns by a long shot (no pun intended).

Clemson

My 3" M-66-3 was a limited run of 2500 guns made in the mid 80's. This was the first time S&W made a 3" m-66. Hope this helps.

Thanks, Dfariswheel. That dates mine to the late 80's or early 90's anyhow. I am curious how many were produced in the 66-4 configuration. How does your 66 shoot? Clemson:):)

Good enough that I trust my life to it in the winter!!!

I think the 3" M-66 is likely the finest personal defense gun there is. I'm sold on 3" revolvers for all the reasons you listed, plus we get full length extraction, and better balance and "feel".

Clemson,

The CAA suffix puts it post August 1994, probably middle 1995 or even early 1996.

The 66-4 was introduced in 1994, so that tracks.

My 3" Model 66 is a 66-3. According to my friends book on S&W its serial number makes it part of the second run of 3" 66 made by S&W. The first run was made for Joe Stemp, the past owner of Ashland Shooter's Supply in Ashland, Ohio. I believe they had a special serial number range.
The gun store where I used to work was owned by the man who was the Sales Manager at A.S.S. at one time.

Thanks, folks! I'm going to give one of my three-inchers away. I think I'll keep the mid-90's gun for my own use. First I need to do a minor action job.

Clemson:D

Back