Help with long-range rifle selection*******

Nate

Inactive
I recently purchased my first gun EVER (SIG P220 in .45 ACP), and have been enjoying it immensely. Now that I have been bitten by the "bug", I'm also looking for a high power rifle as well. Just a little information: I DO NOT hunt, but I am very interested in long range target shooting and plinking. I'd like something that is very accurate out of the box. I like the looks of both the Winchester model 70's and also the Remington 700 varmint synthetic rifles. I know there is a big debate over which is better :) Anyway, I was looking through my 1999 Gun Digest book and came across a SIG rifle (SHR 970). Ic comes in a 270 or 30-06 and features a synthetic stock as well. Does anyone have any experience with these rifles that can comment on their performance. I can get the Winchester or Remington for ~$500 give or take a few $$ and the SIG lists for $499. Not sure what I can actually get it for. I've read that the .308 is actually a much more accurate round than the 30-06, so that is what I'm leaning toward. Any help or advice concerning these rifles or other less expensive models would be greatly appreciated. I will also be buying a scope and could use some advice on them as well. I'd like to stay under $250 on the scope if possible but get the best optics/magnification for the buck. Thanks!

Nathan...

Nate, IMHO you are correct about the 308 being an accurate cartridge but the 06 is probably the most versatile round in the world. Before you can really ask yourself this question you will need to define what you really mean and want in long range target/plinking capability. Since you don't hunt the caliber is not significant. 100 yds,
22 Mag in any quality rifle is a fun choice.
Good Shooting, Hank

Yeah, you need to give us some help about what *you* consider "long range". 200 or 500 or 1,000 yards? Where do you plan to shoot? Do you have access to firing ranges or to private property with over-300 (say) yard ranges?

Off the cuff, for under 300 to 400 yards, a .308 is a good starting point. It's hard to get tack-driving capability (sub-1/2-minute accuracy) without at least a modicum of custom work, whether tweaking the bedding, or "messing" with the trigger or some handloads.

I won't even get into the issue of custom barrels. And if you want super-groups at 300 yards or more, you'll go with Leupold Vari-X III or better (more expensive) scopes...

By longrange, I mean 300 yards or so, and as my skills improve have the ability(equipment) to increase distances. After some more research on my part, I came across the Savage line (10FP) in .308. From what I have read, its JUST as accurate as the Remington 700, and ALOT less. That will leave more $$ to buy quality optics. Any others I should look at? Yes I do have access to areas with that range.

I'll stay out of the "which brand" argument, because I have been able to make most brands shoot better than 1 MOA.

I happen to believe that working on the bedding of a rifle is about the most important thing to improve accuracy. I free-float the stock to within one inch of the forend, and create just a minimum of clearance there which I shim with wax paper--it acts as a vibration damper. I imagine the little adjustable nylon-screw inserts would work even better...

The next is the quality of the trigger, and I happen to be a believer in Mr. Canjar's product. I don't use a Set trigger, just a single-stage adjusted to about 0.020" of travel and about a two-pound pull. I also have a trigger-shoe on both my "pet" rifles.

After all this, I'd have to believe the quality of the barrel is the next item. Some are better than others, and I'll defer that discussion to others...

Then, you can tailor your handloads to your rifle. Sometimes, only a variation of 0.1 grains of powder can matter; or a different brand of primer; or a diffferent bullet. Get used to the idea that it takes a lot of research, but getting there is a lot of fun.

Best luck, Art

Back