help with hammergun

tony57190

Inactive
found a hammer gun that says scott on side behind triggers under the forestock on each barrel it has the nuber 13 with a cross pattern on each side, there also appears to be a crown stamped there the rib down the center says what loos like G11 then CW and finally there is a 7. the rib on top says london stub twist.
Can anyone help identify this gun?
thanks for any help,
tony

Sounds like a damascus barreled 13 gauge shotgun; there is an English maker line named Scott that used the "London stub twist" markings. Pictures would help, especially of the proof marks.

I am going to assume it is a sidexside double shotgun; if not, correct me.

Pictures would help. Does it just say "Scott" or is there more?

Pictures of the bottom of the barrel and the water table would help also.

London stub twist is just another name for Damascus, a method of making barrels by winding twisted rods around a bar called a mandrel and welding the seams by heating and pounding. Some top makers turned out fairly strong barrels that way, but most were not very strong and time and corrosion have eaten into the hundreds of welds and weakened most of those barrels. I strongly recommend they not be fired, even with black powder loads.

Jim

photos

no intention of shooting this just looking for history
this is only picture i was able to upload does it help
it is a shotgun and the only name is scott

Attachments

• IMG_0978.jpg
    IMG_0978.jpg
    247.1 KB · Views: 43
The X marks are Birmingham proofmarks for shotguns 1868 - 1925, the bottom one can be crown over BP for provisional proof used after 1856, or crown over BV which is the view stamp. But the BV wasn't used until 1904, unlikely for Damascus barreled shotguns.

Last edited:
AFAIK, the "13" on a barrel means it is a slightly undersized 12ga, meant for thin-walled, full length brass shotshells of the day.

FWIW, I believe that most British makers put at least their full name on guns they've made, and many times also stamp their street address on it - so if anyone saw their work and wanted one like it, they would know where to locate them to order one.

Not so with cloners, making guns back then from places like Belgium & the Far East - who would "polish" their gun's reputation by incising the partial name of a famous maker, or a nearly-spelled-correctly name of one, or the last name with only a first initial ( Like "W.Richards ILO Wesley Richards or J.Prudey ILO James Purdey)\

W&C Scott has/had quite a few shotgun patents in their name, and was an important British gunmaker - I would think a gennie would have ALL particulars on the gun, hammergun or hamerless.

Back