Help with H&R 38

Kbegesse49

Inactive
Hi I have a Harrington & Richardson break open revolver I just bought and I am needing help with info on it so I can see bout finding parts. It says
Harrington & Richardson arms company Worcester mass USA
Pat. Oct4 87 may 14 & Aug 6 89 April 2 95 April 7 96
It has a serial # of F4352 it has a 5 shot cyclender and a 5 inch barrel.
Any help would be appreciated thank you

Attachments

• 16267383972638589403357477757648.jpg
    16267383972638589403357477757648.jpg
    293.7 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
Yep, Numrich has a surprising number of parts available. I bought a top latch from them for my 32 S&W topbreak H&R. That part, by the way, is a weak link in those revolvers. Keep your loads light.

It's got a 5 inch barrel I have looked on numrich site my problem is I don't know the style like small frame or big new or old it needs the hammer fixed the cylinder doesn't eject shells and latch is broke I added a pic not the best but it what I can do

Does it have the caliber stamped on the LEFT side of the barrel?
Yes indicates it's made for "modern" smokeless powder.
No means it's probably a black powder pistol.
It might be over 100 years old, or not.
Either way, I'd guess those patent dates in the first post are from the 1800s.

There is no caliber stamp on the gun anywhere but one thing I found says they (H&R) didn't start using letter in the serial number till 1940 and it has an F at the start of it

I dearly hate to work on those old H&Rs, IJs and similar Saturday Night Specials. The springs are usually the main problem. I had a shoe box full of them for parts. I use to pick them up for $5 parts guns. No more, now they are Antiques. I bought my parts from Numerich.

I missed the Fxxx serial number, and thought it was from the early 1900s.

That caliber on the left side of the barrel stuff may have pertained to particular models; I'm pretty sure the .22s were like that.

I had a .22 with a Rxxx sn, and I believe it was made in 1954, but I'm not sure.

There is no caliber stamp on the gun anywhere but one thing I found says they (H&R) didn't start using letter in the serial number till 1940 and it has an F at the start of it
We ask because if there is no caliber mark on the left side of the barrel then that indicates it's a black powder only model and you basically have to reload your own ammo because nobody makes black powder cartridge ammo anymore.

As long as it's a 5 shot cylinder, it's .38 S&W. If it's a 6 shot, it's .32 S&W Long.

Yeah it's a 5 shot the one thing I found said the start the letter in the serial number in 40 and by the way I read it it's a 1947 year but I still don't know if it's a large or small frame or a new or old model so I can get parts

Looks similar to the H&R model 926 in 38 S&W. My dad had a 926 with a 4 inch barrel I borrowed when I was hired as an Armed Security Officer way back in 1978. I carried it a few months until I was able to get the gun I had always dreamed of, a 6 inch Colt Python. The show Starsky and Hutch inspired my choice. Still have the Python and wish I had the 926 as well.

Back