• Anything ‘published’ on the web is viewed as intellectual property and, regardless of whether it displays a copyright symbol or not, is therefore copyrighted by the originator. The only exception to this is if there is a “free and unrestricted reuse” statement associated with the work.

In order to protect our members and TFL from possible litigation, all members must abide by the following new rules:

1. Copying and pasting entire articles from another site to TFL is strictly prohibited. The same applies to articles from print or other media, and to posting photographs taken of copyrighted pages or other media.

2. Copyright law provides for “fair use” of portions of a copyrighted work. You can copy no more than a SINGLE paragraph from the article to your post (3 or 4 sentences at most).

3. You must provide a link to the article along with the name of website. For example: ww.xxx.yyy/zzz (The Lower Thumbsuck Daily News).

4. You must provide, in your own words, a brief summary of the article AND your reasons for believing it will be of interest to TFL members. Failure to do so may result in the thread being closed or your post being deleted as a “cut and paste drive by.”

5. Photographs and other images are also copyrighted. "Hotlinking" of images (so that it appears in your message) from other sites is also prohibited unless you own rights to the image. If you wish to share an image, provide a clickable link to it.

Posts that do not follow these new guidelines will be altered or deleted by staff. Members who continue to violate this policy may lose their posting privileges at TFL.

Thank you for your cooperation and your participation in TFL, the leading online forum for firearms enthusiasts.

Help with editing posts/ replying with quotes.

Doublestack

Sorry to be a PITA, but I have tried to find answers to these questions and cannot locate info.
How can I edit a post (and title) when there is no little "edit" icon on the bottom of my post? I am refering to my own posts, not someone elses reply.
Also, What is the method used to take a quote fragment from someone elses response and insert it in a response of your own.
I am sure this post will go away quickly as soon as one person replies with the answers.

Thanks.

DS

If there is no edit button, you cannot edit the post. There is a time limit set to preserve the continuity of old threads. How old was the post you were trying to edit?

test

OK, I went to the "quote site", and I have no trouble highlighting what I want to quote. The instructions say to click control-C to "buffer. This is the part I am having trouble with.
I will give it another try. I am using the keypad for Ctrl-C, as I don't know what "click" Ctrl-C could mean.

Looks like you do. But, to clarify one thing, you attempted to use typed in quote tags in post #4. You did everything right except that you left the slash ( '/') off of the ending tag.

It should have looked like this in your text window instead:

[quote]If there is no edit button, you cannot edit the post. There is a time limit set to preserve the continuity of old threads. How old was the post you were trying to edit?[/quote]

BTW, what is the answer to that embedded question? It will probably answer your original question about there being no edit button.

BTW, what is the answer to that embedded question? It will probably answer your original question about there being no edit button.

I have a "Howdy, I'm new here" post, and while all the replies were welcoming and gracious, I was getting embarrassed about leaving it hanging around. Thought I might change the subject line so the post would ride off into the sunset as it were.

No biggie. good to know there are so many nice folks here.

DS

You might want to check out the Software Test Area, located just below this forum on the main page. It's a place specificly used to test various tags and how they look.

Back