Help with casting .58 cal Minnie balls

DavidB2

I want to start making my own .58 cal Minnie balls. Can someone give me the basics? I shoot an 1861 reproduction Armisport Springfield. I have been buying both .577 and .575 cal from Track of the Wolf. I just purchased a Euroarms Enfield Musketoon. Haven't shot it yet.

-My my understanding is that I need a lead pot caster. They have those at my nearby Cabelas. Where do you get lead ingots? Specific website like midway USA? I understand I also need casting flux?

-What tools and bullet molds are need for .58 cal? What lube sizing tools and dies are needed?

By the way, I am active duty Air Force stationed in SD, so I am not near any places where N-SSA events take place. I just target shoot for fun. I want to get into skirmishing when I get stationed back east or retire in East TN. Thanks for all the information you can provide.

If you wanna buy your lead, then Roto Metals is a good place. Buy enough and they have free shipping.

http://www.rotometals.com/pure-lead-ingots-for-sale-s/20.htm

Also, sometimes to make the mold fill easier and better, an alloy with a little bit of tin works great.

My experience with the black powder arms is that you cast your projectiles and do not size them. The molds will usually cast a good diameter.

For instance, for a round ball, you would cast a 0.570" round ball and use an appropriate patch to catch the rifling.

Shop around for the molds. There are a lot of good one out there. I use Lyman, Accurate, NOE, and RCBS.

MidwayUSA usually has a good selection, but when you can find them in stock at Midsouth Shooters Supply, the prices are usually better.

I normally use TC Bore Butter and sometimes a wad over powder, but the wad is not really needed with a minnie.

Alliant's Black MZ is a very clean black powder substitute when loaded according to instructions.

Last edited:
Back